• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Model 60 Repair

Jamezz

Jul 17, 2009
I have an old Palomar model 60 I picked up a while back that I had planned to fix up and use. Upon powering it up everything lit up , I had purchased 2 new 6JU6 tubes off ebay. After letting it sit idle for about 5 minutes I thought it blew up as I heard a loud pop like an M80 and turned around and saw the massive puff of smoke. 1 of the 4 caps in the power supply had blown. I replaced the caps as I had found the schematic online and once again powered it up. This time it stayed on for an hour and I figured everything was fine so lets hook it up. I attempted to key up and nothing happened , after further inspecting the amp I noticed a capacitor near the relay that was not connected , also upon checking over the schematic I noticed a diode that goes across the same pins as the cap that was not there. I connected the cap and again tried to key the radio to no avail. I ran down to radio shack and got the 1n4001 diode and soldered it in. This time it did key but not correctly as the relay just chatters. I attempted to desolder the diode and was going to mess around trying others and noticed the relay itself had broken , the pin the diode was connected to was broken off inside the relay unit. I cannot find a parts list and was hoping someone out there had a Pal model 60 amp and could tell me what replacement relay to install. The original has 12 pins and I cannot find much info online for it and want to get this amp working even if I am just going to put it back on the shelf. I know the model 50 is the 12vdc version so if any of you may have that model instead the same relay should work if you could please let me know what relay is installed or if someone could give advice of what to use. The schematic only says relay 1 and is the only part without a specific model or type listed. Thank you in advance for any help.

If needed I can submit pictures of the relay section.

The relay is just a triple pole double throw 12 volt coil relay. Sometimes called a 3PDT 12 volt relay. I think you'll find one of the 12 pins on your relay has no connection to it inside the relay. It may be used as a keyway for a socket but 11 pins is standard for this type. Nine contact pins and two coil pins. I'm sure you could find a substitute on eBay. If you can't find an exact replacement you may have to trace the contacts through the pins and compensate for any pinout wiring difference. It uses two sets of contacts to do the RF switching and one set for the DC bias. If it continues to chatter I would check the 10 MF 35 V cap, the 20 pf RF sampling cap, and the 2N2905A keying transistor.

Thank you

Thank you shockwave , i didnt expect such a quick reply to my post. I will go ahead and look on ebay to order the relay and order to replace the mentioned diode as everything appeared ok but it looks like I got this thing so cheap because the last person couldnt figure it out and I think i broke the pin on the relay myself tryiing to remove the diode to try another. I really truly appreciate your help and will post if I get it working again. I have higher end radios that put out the same wattage as that amp but its just something about tubes that makes me want to put it on an older low output radio just to run it. Kinda like me rebuilding a Siltronix 1011D M1 late model where the factor replaced the balanced AM modulator with a pcb and a ic and other components , also there is a cuircut added and placed next to the 8950 final output tube. My 2 spare parts radios do not have either and I had read on forums about the AM modulator but have no idea about this second part but have seen SWR protection cuircuts on radios and the components used look the same. Sorry i know its not related to my original post but didnt think it was nessesary to start another thread for another question. Pictures of both factory late production changes can be seen here Index of /~radios/Siltronix1011D is anybody has any idea what it is thats next to the 8950 output tube , looks like a bank of capacitors but I am unsure. Thanks again in advanced.

http://ares.dhsrv.com/~radios/Siltronix1011D/DSC00063.JPG specificly is the peice I am asking about as it was not in my old 1011C and is not in the 2 parts 1011D's i got at the same time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.