• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar skipper 300

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Would like to know your thoughts on this amp.I have found that it can be used 26mhz through 54mhz. Was told a low drive 10 to 20 watts is all thats need. Also was told it has had recent caps replaced. It also is now using the 6kd6 tubes and output is 300 watts RMS.........around 550 plus on SSB. Amp is in great shape for it's age.

Last edited:

Last edited:
The only thing is I would hate to be caught with one. Are they certified for use on the HAM bands?

Well thats a good ? My intent is to use for 10meters. I thought as long as i'm using amp legally 10m,regardless if it is FCC certified i'm legal. As a amateur ticket holder i'm legally allowed to build one amp per year which would not be certified or does it?..........would that make that illegal since it's not FCC certified? Good question i would like to know myself..........any help or answers on this topic.

You could run it on any ham band it will function and it would be 100% legal as long as the output meets spectral purity requirements. There is no certification required.

Probably a good idea to keep the drive level down a bit, and make sure you set your mic gain properly, that will help to keep the output clean. A low pass filter would also be a real good idea.

the rating you want is the plate dissipation rating. this figure, expressed in watts, is generally 1/2 of the tube's maximum safe power output level.

the 8950 can dissipate 35 watts and can therefore (generally) produce up to 70 watts. Of the 70 watts, some power is lost due to the output circuit, the coils and capacitors. figure 10% loss from that 70 watts. so your costly 35-watt 8950 can, as a general rule, safely do 63 watts. It is recommended that this be taken as the PEP level. In AM service, the carrier level in watts should be limited to half the plate dissipation rating. (i.e. the 8950 should be run at no more than 17.5 watts carrier level on AM)

safe operating output power for 3X8950 would be 189WPEP. with a typical efficiency of 55 - 60% 300W is the INPUT POWER, not the OUTPUT POWER!

the tubes will not last for their rated MTBF when run in excess of 200WPEP.
while increased plate voltage will allow slightly higher efficiency and reduced harmonic content the key is to maintain minimum input drive to take advantage of the aforementioned. before tank component losses are figured into the equation the maximum carrier level per tube is approximately 17.5W.

maximum MTBF is achieved in AM operation by holding total carrier power to 50W and limiting maximum peak envelope power to just under 200WPEP.

continue operating them as mentioned in the previous posts and you had better plan on having another set of tubes handy.

Last edited:
8950 / 6KD6 drive power

Just a word of caution from a former long time sweep tube user. Do NOT overdrive them. A Skipper 300 works great with about 3 watts of drive on AM, a max a 15 PEP on sideband. (your results and / or opinions may vary)

Steve / K6SCA

I have a Skipper 300 and I would like to run it on 20/40 meters. Will the amp tune for those bands or will I have to install an inductor coil with a band switch. (8950 tubes), My tester will not check the 8950s so I don,t know which is bad. I have a Knight tester.

unknown amp

i bought a zodiac amp i think they used it for 11 meter it has 2 tubes driving 4

4 tubes there all sweep tubes does any one know how much power it has or

it could do it doesnt work right now and all the tubes are new does any one know if its the same as a plomar skipper

thanks scott

unknown amp

i bought a zodiac amp i think they used it for 11 meter it has 2 tubes driving 4

4 tubes there all sweep tubes does any one know how much power it has or

it could do it doesnt work right now and all the tubes are new does any one know if its the same as a plomar skipper

thanks scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.