• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palstar SP30B Communications Speaker

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Ordered it from R&l Electronics. Currently using it with my 7610. They sell another model with more features. This is the basic unit. It's a nice looking speaker with a somewhat old school look about it. They no longer include speaker cable with them.

It throws nice rich sound. CW sounds very nice. AM/FM and SSB sound very nice, although it's a tad bassy. To me, that's a good thing, as it makes for less noisy signal.

It's definitely a nice speaker. It would be sweeter and nicer if it cost $25 less.

It replaced my old and aged Optimus XTS 3 speaker.

Get ya' one

Reactions: Slowmover

Ive had my SP30B for 5yrs, Its OK. Moved it over to V/Uhf radio. Needed some thing powered for HF ext speaker, ended up with West Mountain PWRspkr 15W. But ive been eyeing the Heil PRAS EQ

Reactions: Slowmover
(Stuff you already know. But a few Q, nonetheless).

Palstar gives a high-quality appearance to its offerings. Aesthetic can make for a clue. The website and contents meet that Q head-on.

Early radio had speakers “tuned” the same way. The Zenith I owned had one gigantic magnet on the 12” speaker.

Control of that movement is the change between then and now. I’m not convinced speaker cone material is better.

I’d imagine that speaker is FAR better in the event you’re walking the room, or entering/leaving over what it replaced.

Any placement changes? Rug on wood floor? Acoustic material added to walls? “Feet” under speaker to reduce rumble? (worth a look on stereo sites).

I built a “headboard” for a queen bed in the same small apartment years ago in similar fashion to the desk I’ve described in another thread.

Essentially, a shelf raised a foot above bed (slanted-backrest) filling the space where the bed was centered on a room corner. Foot of the bed aimed at door to living area.

From the living area I could play the bedroom “stereo” placed on that shelf and the effect in the living area was good quality of depth & stage (timing).

Friends were astounded it was a clock radio (two-speaker; single-unit).

Took a few tries with details. Distance from corner and asymmetrical placement was most of it. A custom door-stop was the other.

Quail Electronics (Livermore, CA) offers the option to custom-make power cords. Accessories include ferrites built-in, past hospital-grade terminations.

Blue Jeans Cable (Seattle WA) includes Belden 1694a cable for audio. High RFI rejection. While the PalStar cable may be great, it’s length may not.

Hubbell 5262 15A-125V outlet. (Better blade contact, for starters).

One can go “inexpensive” on a great number of items, but it still comes down to our ears. An audiologist of my acquaintance many years ago explained some of the difficulties of hearing loss problems:

Much of the problem isn’t mechanical. Physical.

What the mind (not brain) creates to interpret the world can be highly idiosyncratic.

All that radio gear just gets in the way of interpreting antenna resonance, so to speak.

Assuming all components are operating off of the same electrical phase, electrical noise reduction is paramount to “hearing the gear”, IMO.

I’d connect that speaker to a commercial AM radio source to get me started. “Tune” it on its own via room changes (placement & treatment). What my ears prefer. The room itself is the speaker. The listening chamber.

Then

Deficiencies with HAM gear brought to surface by this high-fidelity speaker? Where are they separate from the mains power?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?