• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ParaDynamic Meter Parts?

widowmaker1

Sep 2, 2010
I have a brand new ParaDynamics 6000 meter (3 Window 5K reading one) it's a couple of years old, that hasn't been used since new, took it out of the box to check it out, the SWR Meter isn't working, the power, modulation windows work fine, I called the number on the paperwork that came with the meter but, this number is no longer in service, any ideas where I can get a replacement SWR meter for it would be appreciated or a number to contact that would have the part I need to fix it, thanks. Widowmaker.

are you sure the meter isnt just stuck??shake it around and see if the meter moves ,if it dont ,its stuck .you can unstick them sometimes by turning the screw on the face of the meter .

I think Astatic now owns ParaDynamics from what I can tell, I'll try to get in touch with them and order another SWR meter section for this thing hopefully, they have replacement parts for this thing, the meter originally went to the right from the "0" reading but, wouldn't come back down, tapped on the face of the meter and leaned the whole thing on it's side to get the needle back to "0" there is sits, shook the meter and no movement fromt he SWR screen, seems stuck to me, adjusted the screw below the meter with no movement either way, I don't have a way to test diodes, I'm not a tech, I guess I'll see if I can get another new SWR meter from them and put it in and see what happens, just have to look up how to contact Astatic, thanks for your input guys, I do appreciate, it's just kind of frustrating this happening to a brand new unused meter, glad I got my Dosy's around here with out any issues, just wanted to try this one out to see if I liked it or not, at this poing NOT! thanks again. Widowmaker

Last edited by a moderator:
If the meter needle sticks its not a diode anyway. One thing I have seen happen is if the paper with the number scale on the meter background is creased or wrinkled the meter needle catches and gets stuck.

The SWR needle goes to the right (top of the scale) when I turn the adjustment knob with the radio dead keyed but, it won't come back down, it just sits there above the top of the scale, took the meter out of the cabinet and checked to see if it was hung up anywhere, all looked good, not dragging on the paper stencil behind the needle, was able to push the needle back to "0" manually, went and re-keyed the radio again the needle did the same thing, put the meter back in the cabinet, I will attempt to find a contact number for Astatic, haven't been lucky finding any contact for them as of yet, I'll send it in for repair if I can reach them and they do repairs, if not, I'll bring out the sledge hammer or use it for target practice LOL!! thanks again. Widowmaker

you could just sell it .it still reads power and modulation .
when you had the meter out did you see a screw on the back of the meter??
the one on front is for setting the meter to zero,there might be another one in the rear,just not sure .
if there is try turning that one .

i have unstuck alot of radio meters by turning those screws .

you could just sell it .it still reads power and modulation .
when you had the meter out did you see a screw on the back of the meter??
the one on front is for setting the meter to zero,there might be another one in the rear,just not sure .
if there is try turning that one .

i have unstuck alot of radio meters by turning those screws .

There isn't an adjustment on the back of the plastic case of the meter, there is a small screw on the front of the meter that conncects the needle to the shaft inside the meter, I tried turning that but no luck there either, if I can find a way to contact Astatic maybe I can order a replacement meter for it and be done with it hopefully, if not I'm done with this thing. thanks. Widowmaker

I have a brand new ParaDynamics 6000 meter (3 Window 5K reading one) it's a couple of years old, that hasn't been used since new, took it out of the box to check it out, the SWR Meter isn't working, the power, modulation windows work fine, I called the number on the paperwork that came with the meter but, this number is no longer in service, any ideas where I can get a replacement SWR meter for it would be appreciated or a number to contact that would have the part I need to fix it, thanks. Widowmaker.

PDC 6000 I remember those. If the number you have is from the Valor Enterprises in Piqua Ohio they sold the company to Astatic back in the late '90s. I used to work as an RF Tech for PDC for a few years before they sold to Astatic.

Could be the movement is damaged. Some of them can be repaired, not sure if your movement has fallen out of the cradle or not. I used to know a supplier for replacement movements but has slipped my mind. I believe they were around $15 if I find the company again I will post here.

Let us know what Astatic says.

2 rounds of .223 took care of the problem at the range, no more paradynamics for me, no need to look for any further information on it, thanks I appreciate your help with thr POS. Widowmaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.