• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Retevis is giving away THREE radios for their 16th Anniversary! Click Here to enter!

Parts Needed / Royce 1-641

MKwrench

Wooohoooo!!!
Aug 6, 2023
121
115
53
55
I wanted to check if anyone had a "parts" or "Broken" Royce 1-641.
I destroyed T8 in an ongoing attempt trying to extract a seized and broken cup slug.
:sick: (A slip with a sharp tool, opend the winding) :mad:

T8 and T9 are the same. I cant find a "positive" match online anywhere. Has ETC 20192 printed on it, and is listed as 02-052 (Royce P/N?), and described as an "IF 455khz" and is on page 29 of the manual I shared in the schematic. The schematic shows "3.5" near the winding in the image, but I have no clue what they are indicating.... :confused:

I Like these Royce Base radios, they look like they belong in the den or library of some old-timey mansion somewhere, surrounded by old books on a desk or shelf next to a fancy whisky decanter by the humidor.... :D
 

Attachments

  • Royce 1641.pdf
    Royce 1641.pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 7
  • BooBoo.Royce.jpg
    BooBoo.Royce.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 8
  • BooBoo.Royce2.jpg
    BooBoo.Royce2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 9
  • Like
Reactions: AudioShockwav

Not the reply you want, but I bet someone good at soldering little things could fix it if the windings are still in place and the broken ends are near each other.

I've even re-done the windings on a few IFTs and its not all that difficult if you have a good set of magnifier glasses and an old relay to source wire from~ assuming the windings are in place to count when removed.

Pretty sure that slug can be glued back together too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MKwrench
Not the reply you want, but I bet someone good at soldering little things could fix it if the windings are still in place and the broken ends are near each other.

I've even re-done the windings on a few IFTs and its not all that difficult if you have a good set of magnifier glasses and an old relay to source wire from~ assuming the windings are in place to count when removed.

Pretty sure that slug can be glued back together too.
Hi Brandon, I gave it a whirl.
My fat arthritic fingers and eyes straining with reader glasses through a Harbor Freight lighted magnifier did their best. I had it working until it stopped & I had to press sideways on it to make it work.
I pulled it back out and reheated the connections at the pins, but now had uneven resistance from the center to each side... and then a short. I must have damaged the wire coating.
I'll try again another day.
 
I think the "3.5" in the schematic would be the uH value. I'm not sure if that is from 1 to 3 or from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 ??
 
Check it out, I wound my 1st variable indicator. Thanks for the inspiration.
I tried to get everything I described above in pictures. "Reader glasses" ...check, "Fat arthritic fingers" ...check, "Harbor freight,cheap ass magnifier lamp" ...check....
I was so exited I made a quick video of the old Royce ticking away like nothing ever happened.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brandon7861
I'll have to edit those other posts later....
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260711_223420547.jpg
    PXL_20260711_223420547.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260711_223428459.jpg
    PXL_20260711_223428459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20260711_223432755.jpg
    PXL_20260711_223432755.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260711_223507385.jpg
    PXL_20260711_223507385.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
I wanted to check if anyone had a "parts" or "Broken" Royce 1-641.
I destroyed T8 in an ongoing attempt trying to extract a seized and broken cup slug.
:sick: (A slip with a sharp tool, opend the winding) :mad:

T8 and T9 are the same. I cant find a "positive" match online anywhere. Has ETC 20192 printed on it, and is listed as 02-052 (Royce P/N?), and described as an "IF 455khz" and is on page 29 of the manual I shared in the schematic. The schematic shows "3.5" near the winding in the image, but I have no clue what they are indicating.... :confused:

I Like these Royce Base radios, they look like they belong in the den or library of some old-timey mansion somewhere, surrounded by old books on a desk or shelf next to a fancy whisky decanter by the humidor.... :D
Didn't you see a 455kHz filter in your picture?
 
I wanted to check if anyone had a "parts" or "Broken" Royce 1-641.
I destroyed T8 in an ongoing attempt trying to extract a seized and broken cup slug.
:sick: (A slip with a sharp tool, opend the winding) :mad:

T8 and T9 are the same. I cant find a "positive" match online anywhere. Has ETC 20192 printed on it, and is listed as 02-052 (Royce P/N?), and described as an "IF 455khz" and is on page 29 of the manual I shared in the schematic. The schematic shows "3.5" near the winding in the image, but I have no clue what they are indicating.... :confused:

I Like these Royce Base radios, they look like they belong in the den or library of some old-timey mansion somewhere, surrounded by old books on a desk or shelf next to a fancy whisky decanter by the humidor.... :D
 
It's not a "455", its a single sided matching coil. I just ended up winding another one from scrap parts, see post 9.
When this 1st happened I did try a few different 455s in there, but either had nothing at the filter or no adjustment.
When I 1st got this radio it was inoperable, with the main board cracked at all of the mounting points, was missing parts, had a butchered frequency mod with wires hanging everywhere, solder blobs shorting traces, front panel switches misconfigured and shorting other stuff out.
Everything is back to normal and it works pretty well. The only issues I might look into are "ground sesnitivity", If I touch the metallic chassis while in recieve a small snap then buzzing can be heard in the RX speaker. I'm eyeballing the caps in the power supply that I havn't checked for this issue. And noisy AM receive SSB is beautiful, but AM seems to grab equal amounts of hash and trash with the signal. I hadn't changed 1 cap in the recap "C35" because I didn't have a 3.3uf axial on hand and didn't notice it because of the axial shape. I'll just pop a regular 4.7 in for testing. Other than that it's a realy cool old radio that almost looks like classic furniture...
I shared a SAMs manual above, and here's a factory manual too. Check out those (WTF) alignment instructions...LOL.
Save these for your records if you don't have them..
 

Attachments


dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.