• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PATROIT BASE ANTENNA 2000 WATTS 12 FT. LONG AND SET UP

mag69

Oct 2, 2005
MI
I was wondering does anyone know how good the PATROIT 12 BASE ANTENNA 2000 WATTS 12 FT. LONG is. I had a IMAX 2000 about 66ft in the air and it worked great but when I sold my house and the new owner gave 600.00 to leave it and now I rent and I need something smaller and temperary, so I was thinking a plastic 55 gallon drum filled with concrete with a 4ft 1 1/2inch piece of fence in it than a 20ft piece attached to it and 4 guy wires and a Patroit 12ft on top, what do you pros think? and help would be great!!!!!!!!!!

I think a 50' push up pole from rat shack might work a little better for you expecially since youre wanting to use guy wires anyway. Stick with the I-Max or an antron-99.

KA-BAM!

the antenna is okay but the antron is alot better. if your are stuck with the patriot it will work but they need tuned! their not pretuned like the antron. I have had two and they both needed tuned bad! I also would not running 2000 watts into it! Or anything close.

What about this one?

I don't have the room and I can go very high so how about this one?

THE BEST CB BASE ANTENNA!!!
for $39.95
CB DOUBLE BAZOOKA DIPOLE

One of the best performing CB antennas made. SELECT BUY IT NOW AND SHIPPING IS FREE!!!

Beats out even 5/8th Wave base ground plain antennas.

Here is what our customers are saying...

"...Thanks to you and your wonderful product the CB double Bazooka has put performed my famous m-409 trick-stick made by cushcraft..."

"......Just wanted to thank you so much because I can't believe it!!! Because of your product I'm the king of the hill again..."

"......My Locals are giving me great reports and mind you I'm on the flat side with your CB Double Bazooka...wow!!! I still can't believe it..."

"...Its a wonderful thing being in stealth mode...."

Measures 18' 6" the antenna will take up less space when in the inverted V configuration.

A DOUBLE BAZOOKA antenna is an extremely broad banded Half Wave Antenna which can operate efficiently on all CB channels with little change to the SWR. The BAZOOKA antenna design was developed by the staff of M.I.T. in the early 1940's for use by the U.S. Government as a radar antenna. It was modified for amateur radio use in the 1950's.

This unique design eliminates the need for antenna matching baluns and fed directly with 50 Ohm coax.

The DOUBLE BAZOOKA is 98% efficient and typically provides NOMINAL S.W.R. readings of less than 2:1 over all CB Channels.

This antenna has no exposed metal wire, static charges can not build up thus reducing noise over antennas constructed of exposed wire or tubing.

The DOUBLE BAZOOKA antenna will handle full legal limit power with no effect to performance. Designed to handle 1,500 watts +.
The DOUBLE BAZOOKA can be mounted in an inverted "V" configuration for optimum results, "Center elevated, with 90 - 120 degrees between the legs". Then it will have vertical polarization and will usually out perform a dipole type antenna at distances of over 500 miles due to its lower angle of radiation. However the DOUBLE BAZOOKA can be configured horizontally with equally good results. If erected as a Dipole this antenna has horizontal polarization.

This single band antenna does not radiate harmonics, has very little feed line radiation. This translates to reduced interference with the TV'S and stereos. Recently we tried a 5/8ths wave ground plain and a CB DOUBLE BAZOOKA. WOW !!! What a difference!! On the base antenna all we could hear was noise. Switched over to the CB DOUBLE BAZOOKA and started listening to some rag chewing in progress. Just wanting to make sure we were not just picking up a fluke. We switched back over the the Base antenna and heard nothing but static!! We when up and down the channels with similar results.

The CB DOUBLE BAZOOKA is made to handle even the toughest environments. The Coax center conductor is copper coated steel. It is made to be easy to set up, easy to use, strong and durable.

This is the perfect antenna for that favorite channel.

This antenna is great for stealth work. As it is flat black, insulated it can be placed in trees, under eaves or next to house trim even in attics. Its ends can be bent to accommodate unusual spaces.

The advantages of this antenna are

1}Broad bandwidth

2}Almost unaffected by environment

3} Positive gain with reference to a common dipole operating under the same relative conditions up to 3.6 db

4}Greatly attenuates harmonics

5}Substantial decrease in static charge build-up

6}Non-directional. (as a inverted V)
[/img]

Better off with the patriot than a dipole. Now I know some will argue difrent but unless your talking to people with the same dipole setup it will be hard to get out to people with vertical polarized antennas. Even in the inverted v setup if you ask me! I talk to a guy alot who can only run dipole and he runs a RCI on his dipole and it dont do so well. From what I have heard you need to get a dipole up 36 feet for it to work good. There is also an astro plane that is 12 foot tall and from what I have heard it works good probly better than the patriot. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

D-Bazooka is a good antenna, you can make one real easy. It will work OK as a Inverted V you won't be the big guy on the block but it will work. You'll be able to get to the horizontal stations better than a verticle stick. I used a Inverted V dipole for awhile for Cb it worked good.

Jonbah

The advantages of this antenna are

1}Broad bandwidth
...Yes, they are fairly broadbanded. But also has reduced radiation efficiency the further from the design/resonant frequency that you go. Fact, see ARRL Antenna Compendium #3 (I think it's #3).

2}Almost unaffected by environment
...Nope, sorry, just not true. It's affected just like any other antenna as to it's environment (nearness to objects, height, etc.).

3} Positive gain with reference to a common dipole operating under the same relative conditions up to 3.6 db
...It's a 1/2 wave antenna/dipole. How can it have gain over it's self?

4}Greatly attenuates harmonics
...Uh, yeah, just like any dipole. In other words, no it doesn't.

5}Substantial decrease in static charge build-up
...Don't bet on it!

6}Non-directional. (as a inverted V)
...Depends on mounting height and the angle between the legs.. An inverted 'V' is not the same as a 'drooping' dipole, don't confuse the two. Very few inverted 'V's are actually inverted 'V's. Most are 'drooping' dipoles.

Bazooka antennas have a greatly enlarged/exagerated reputation. They are nice antennas, but nothing really 'magical' about them or their abilities. They also have draw-backs, as in they weigh more than an ordinary dipole, require stronger supports, and cost more.
- 'Doc

PS - Good advertising department!

decision

I have not made a decision, i'm not using it for skip or anything just local and something easy to put up and take down because im not staying here and I work 80hrs a week and just don't have the time or room to put up a mast with a Imax 2000
right now I'm running a monkey made with a 102" whip on a homemade tripod/ground plan sitting on the ground, TXs about 3 miles and I need a little more.
And Thanks for all the good advise please keep it comming.

mag69,
The simplest solution would be to just raise the antenna higher. Not necessarily the easiest solution, but...

Making a distinction between a 'local' antenna and a DX antenna is sort of 'nit-picky'. When you get down to it, there really is no difference until you get into a fairly 'complicated' antenna like a beam or directional array. (Not really all that 'complicated', just more to it than the average vertical, you know?) Propagation is the primary difference between a 'local' antenna and a DX one, and unfortunately, we don't have any control over that (Talk nicely to "Momma-Nature"). Optimising what you have is the way to go in most cases, and height is almost always the answer to greater range.
Good luck...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.