• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pcn-60 help on cobra 29

Heranney76

Dec 29, 2018
Can anyone help me with the connections on rm italy pcn-60 in a cobra 29 wx nw st? Thanks in advance guys. I know I need to sheild it also working on making a box now

I believe that J5 and J6 are the power switch. J1 and J2 is for SSB relay, I think.

ANT is what you connect to your antenna connector in the back of the radio.

RTX is where the radio connects, directly from the PCB of the radio.

You’ll need to use something like RG-316. Tie the shields together and connect the ground plane of the radio to the ground plane on the amp board. I file a bare spot on the washer on the face of the board. Solder the shields there.

Connect the red and black wires to the radios power input. Use one of the switches in the face of the radio to control on/off if desired or just tie those two together at the amp board for always ON.

Reactions: Heranney76
Thanks I really appreciate it man. Now get this thing put in and try it out. Got a rfx95 on a 29nw but wanted to try out one of the 60 boards don't want to lose the int speaker yet haha

Well you’ll get about 40 watts peak and around 10 or average depending on what you’ve done to the radio. It’s a worthy install on a stick radio.

It’s easy to mount it to the back of the chassis if you’re inclined to move some parts around and do a little engineering. The side of the board with the long single trace near the edge, you can grind the board down on that side to make it easier to stand against the back wall.

Jump that trace on the other side of the board. That trace feeds the relay I believe, it’s been awhile since I looked it. That’s how I install a lot of them but it takes time to make it fit that way.

Or just install it along side the speaker. I like rear mounting it to the chassis personally but that takes some planning and work.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well you’ll get about 40 watts peak and around 10 or average depending on what you’ve done to the radio. It’s a worthy install on a stick radio.

It’s easy to mount it to the back of the chassis if you’re inclined to move some parts around and do a little engineering. The side of the board with the long single trace near the edge, you can grind the board down on that side to make it easier to stand against the back wall.

Jump that trace on the other side of the board. That trace feeds the relay I believe, it’s been awhile since I looked it. That’s how I install a lot of them but it takes time to make it fit that way.

Or just install it along side the speaker. I like rear mounting it to the chassis personally but that takes some planning and work.

So if I already make 10avg with 1969 final is it going to boost it any? My meter is only avg so no pep reading. Just curious.

Yeah I wasn't really thinking when I posted that. The store bought from on ebay emailed instructions yesterday and they said 1/2 to 1w dead key. Guess one of those either or kind of things. Either you build up the transceiver to make power or you put a box behind it.

I gotta say this. I don't have any idea how a stinger board like that still has any value - really. It has one mosfet on it - right? Sooooo; what is the difference in power output between that stinger board and a mosfet conversion to the radio? ANS: nothing. That stinger board will never see 60w even if you put the mic next to an air raid siren. The mosfet conversion will have at least 35w/real. Forget about avg watts and just deal with dk and pep - IMO . . .

I mean no offense to you. It's just the idea that they still sell those things that sticks in my craw.

Last edited:
None taken I can see exactly what you mean. I was kind of new to the hobby see it cheap power got sucked in..... we'll call it a $25 lesson but I figure everything is worth a shot. But on a power note
1. What would be the distance difference between say stock 5w avg 15-20pep
And 1969 supertune 10-12w average 40-50pep
And why does everyone measure pep when seems like to me a avg reading would be much more accurate. Just trying to get my head around the pep vs avg debate

My point would be Friday at work me and a buddy were talking to a guy a good ways away guessing 45-55mi but not sure as the crow flys put meter on his radio .5w my peaked 29 doing 9w on older ratshack meter could hear both of us. I'm running wilson 1000 with 62.5in hes got k40 I believe not 100% but when we were farther apart probably 15mi maybe farther not sure exacts I would put 3 on his meter while he only put right at a one on me

That board, the PCN-60, is designed to make a stock radio like a Cobra or something, do about 40w pep. You’ll probably have to key a carrier of about 1/2-1w into it.

I was asked how to hook it up, I provided.

I was asked about the power and I said I didn’t know, cause I don’t.

But OP is experimenting and needs to learn, that’s how we all started. A better choice would be an AD203 but you’ll lose the internal speaker. If you detune your radio and use that 60, you’ll get about the same power you have already but it’ll be louder. Maybe you want that, maybe not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.