• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

peaked output & detune??

maddog355

Sep 22, 2011
I picked up a cheap swr/watt meter today just to get a rough idea what my uniden pc78ltw was doing before I spent the time and money (couple hrs drive one way) taking it to be detuned for my amp. Radio dead keys about 6watt and swings about 50 :confused: I know it is a cheap meter so lets say it is actually swinging 30. Even at that I always thought about 20 was the max from a peaked radio??? I have not had the chance to listen to it myself but have been told the radio sounds good. Any chance it allready has a swing mod? What about the dead key, Can I put the watt meter on it and turn the dead key down myself without screwing the radio up?

Sounds like it's already been 'diddle-sticked'. I think your best bet would be to have it restored to 'stock' and have done with it. Tuned up, then tuned down? Why bother to do anything to it to start with. Doesn't make much sense to me.
- 'Doc

I picked up a cheap swr/watt meter today just to get a rough idea what my uniden pc78ltw was doing before I spent the time and money (couple hrs drive one way) taking it to be detuned for my amp. Radio dead keys about 6watt and swings about 50
If you have another radio - preferably a stock radio; then try it out on that meter. If the meter says the same thing; then I surely wouldn't trust that meter's result.

The only way the radio is putting out that many watts is if it were modified with dual mosfet final transistors. I think the stock final in that radio is a 2sc2078; no way could it ever put out that much.

The BEST way to use an amp with a radio like this is to have it completely aligned first and THEN turn down the power output . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated