• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pearce Simpson Bengal

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone , it's no secret that I like to buy/collect older CB radios ... which drives my wife crazy . I usually buy older tube equipment , but this time around I was looking for a solid state Pearce Simpson . So I bought a Pearce Simpson Bengal , and it's in fairly nice condition cosmetically for it's age . It has the original stock mic , and aside from the audio level , everything seems to be working as it should . I haven't taken the lid off and inspected the inside of it yet . Aside from an unlocked clarifier , it seems to still all be stock . The locals keep telling me how "Stocky" it sounds when I'm on it , and want me to get back on the regular radio that they're use to hearing me on ... lol

The receive on it is amazing , and so is the tone of the audio coming out of it's built in speaker. For being a 46 year old radio, it definitely impresses me . Now if I could just get it to stop sounding "Stocky" ... lol . I wired up an Astatic Gray Base to it ... but it didn't really help much . I've had the mic for quite a few years , but I haven't really used it much . So I'm not 100% sure on it's performance level , and it's also a much older Gray Base as well .

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mics might be a good match up to this model , or how to bring it's audio up ? I can see on my meter that the audio level isn't going very high ... and that was with radio's mic gain all the way up , and the Astatic's as well .

This gray base also has no pop filter in the mic head , and I've been looking everywhere online for a replacement piece for it for a few months now , with no luck .... does anyone know where I can find a replacement for it ?

Reactions: secret squirrel

To complete the package I would look for a Pearce Simpson Supermod II mic. They occasionally show up on Ebay, but don’t expect that radio to scream like some other radios without modifying the audio chain, most of which would also adversely affect the audio on SSB. IMO If you’re achieving 80% or better modulation, leave it alone. As a great sounding SSB radio, I would swap out the 11.805Mhz crystal with a 12.205Mhz crystal. Ch1= 36, Ch2=37, Ch3=38, Ch4=40

I`ve got to agree with Sunbulls ... Either the Super Mod base Mic or a Leson TW-232 base mic will really boost your audio.. Given the age of the radio a re-cap could help aswell.. Great radio though I am a big fan of Pearce-Simpson anything.

Reactions: Raccoon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.