• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

penetrator 500

sheldonth

Nov 14, 2022
O.K. So I admit in advance I know nothing! You know.....like shultz from hogans heroes?
Anyway, I bought the 500 super penetrator on Dx Engineerings advice. I planned to run 11-meter stock until I get my license.
I cannot get this antenna to even try to match. Above 5. I'm using a new cross needle match meter from Dx Engineering. Ive had the antenna up and down going on time number 47 now. Tried every adjustment in small 1 inch increments up and down, long and short. Match never gets any better....Huh? At least I'm building my biceps taking it up and down from the pole I'm throwing it up on. I've read the forums for weeks, after work, and on my days off to try to learn how to adjust antennas. I've tried many settings recommended on these forums.
I finally noticed my ground rod is on different side then other pics online. I doubt this is the issue as the contacts are correct. But I will try this. Coax is rg8 ..app 35 ft. Matching strap is flat aluminum type and appears correct.
I am new but determined to learn.....would love to use my new radio but won't until this is right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: whiteastro

Try 22ft 9inches to get started and make sure your reading your swr meter proper even if you have to call DX engineering for instructions on the meter. If the instructions mention 19 ft forget that. I bought the same antenna from the same place and I think mine ended up 22ft 8.5 inches for 11 meter. And when you change adjustments only do like 1/4 inch at a time until you get to see what it is doing for you. You'll learn !

Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi
Important Info.

If the reading on channel 1 is higher than the reading on channel 40, your antenna system is TOO SHORT and you need to lengthen your antenna.​

Example of when your antenna system is too short: If the SWR meter reading on channel 1 is 2.6 and the reading on channel 40 is 1.3, your antenna is too short. You will need to increase the physical length of the antenna system. Possible solutions include adding a spring or quick disconnect, raising the antenna, get longer coax (and just make sure to store any excess coax in a figure eight style, about a foot in length, and loosely bound in the center), or re-positioning the antenna.

Lengthening of the Firestik II and Firefly is accomplished by turning the tuning screw further out. On the "Original" Firestik and Road Pal models, it requires tip removal, short slits in the plastic covering and, the separation and upward repositioning of three or more wire turns. Firestik Designer Series antennas require loosening the allen screws and raising the metal whip.

Alternatively, if the reading on channel 40 is higher than channel 1, your antenna system is TOO LONG and you need to shorten your antenna system.​

Example of when your antenna system is too long: If the SWR meter reading on channel 1 is 1.2 and the reading on channel 40 is 2.3, your antenna is too long- you'll need to shorten the antenna system to get better efficiency. You can do that by turning the tuning tip or the adjusting ring, or you can take the antenna mast out and trim it about 1/8 inch, and place it back firmly against the coil. Remember, it's easier to cut a little more off the antenna than to have to add some length (remember the barber who cut your hair too short?).

Try 22ft 9inches to get started and make sure your reading your swr meter proper even if you have to call DX engineering for instructions on the meter. If the instructions mention 19 ft forget that. I bought the same antenna from the same place and I think mine ended up 22ft 8.5 inches for 11 meter. And when you change adjustments only do like 1/4 inch at a time until you get to see what it is doing for you. You'll learn !
Im beginning to think ive got a bad match meter, too bad ...its new and cost 85 bucks. But when I wiggle the coax behind it it changes....neither change being a good match. Due to inexperiance, Im wondering.....the match meter has a high setting and a low setting. Im using the low power setting for the most sensitivity and im using a tiny stock cobra 40 channel cb for test rig. I wouldn't dare put my new radio on it which can do a few hundred watts.
My new radio is rci69ffb4 Ranger. I stupidly bought two of them. One for the mrs mobile and one to set up as a base station. Then I picked up a huge yagi beam antenna at a sale, only to find it would have to be hacked up for 11 meter....nope....not going to commit that sin. Save it for later. Then bought the penetrator from dx engineering and either its defective, assembled wrong, or that match meter is bad. Everything is brand new. Can I post pictures on here? Perhaps you could inspect my assembly? Ive pretty much given up and have tried all the reccomended lenghts including yours. Cant even get on the map with the match meter. p.s. now Ive gone and bought an antenna tuner, it will be here ina few days. But you have to at least be in the ballpark before you run this antenna tuner.

pictures of penetrator assembly and 1 picture of yagi

Attachments

• PXL_20221115_003131990.jpg
    PXL_20221115_003131990.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20221115_003135341.jpg
    PXL_20221115_003135341.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20221115_003137869.jpg
    PXL_20221115_003137869.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20221115_003154997.jpg
    PXL_20221115_003154997.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 102
First off I never used your type matching meter and if you don't have a lot of experience I think a cheaper and more simple swr meter would be more useful to get started. I have several meters and a cheap little Astatic PDC 1 gives me good reading for a starter swr meter and surprising it has never gave me a power reading I didn't believe. Use the KISS theory in the begining and you can advance as you feel more comfortable. And the above antenna length theory works for both mobile or base antenna but you don't cut the SPT 500 you just slide it down. Good luck and maybe the Pros will chime in.

yes...Im using a cross needle swr meter. I remember the simple ones. I may try one. And yes, I am sliding the antenna to adjust, not cutting.

Attachments

• PXL_20221114_221013228.jpg
    PXL_20221114_221013228.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 82
And don't get me wrong I'm not saying the Astatic PDC 1 is the total answer. I like a little bigger screen but the PDC 1 is really portable and quick check on dead key on a new radio.

pictures of penetrator assembly and 1 picture of yagi

Your shorting rod is attached to the wrong side of your ground radials. It needs to be attached to the ground plane bolt that is one side (90 degrees) further around. It shouldn't be underneath the matching rod.

Attachments

• hgn-spt-500_ac.pdf
    274.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
My starting OAL is a little different from whiteastro. Here is what I have:

The SPT-500 should be adjusted to an OAL of 267" (22'3") as a starting point for CB and then fine tuned from there by adjusting length and matching rod and/or shorting rod. The 267" OAL is from the original data sheets when it was sold as a CB antenna, not a 10/12 meter antenna. The matching rod was a different design and may have been a different length. You can "shorten" the matching rod by shorting across the upper end. Adjust the OAL by adjusting the top section.

For the strongest vertical, if you overlap the joints by 4", the top radiator will have a 4 1\2" overlap and your OAL will be 267". Exposed lengths would be:

M1 = 71"
M2 = 48"
M3 = 51"
M4 = 49.5"
Top = 47.5"

I would initially determine at what frequency the antenna is resonant (X=0) with an antenna analyzer. Then you will know what direction to go to reach your target frequency.

X will be positive (inductive) or negative (capacitive). As frequency increases, inductive reactance increases and capacitive reactance decreases.

First - Adjust the matching rod and/or shorting rod to tune R & X
Second - Adjust the OAL for SWR

As you adjust one, it will affect the other, so alternate back and forth until you have a R= ~50, X = ~0, and SWR is as low as you can get it.

Good Luck

Attachments

• hy-gain_525_super_golden_penetrator.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 91
  • penetrator.pdf
    611.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Another thing you need to know about this antenna is if the top insulator on the matching device has the short end of the insulator on the top the SWR will go bad in a rain storm but return to normal when it stops. Here is a couple pictures how I fixed that problem. ( Modification )
Also not being a professional installer I never bought a antenna analyzer. If you can afford the luxury by all means buy one.

Attachments

• Finish.JPG
    Finish.JPG
    841.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Making.JPG
    Making.JPG
    612.5 KB · Views: 95
so....bought another match meter in case this fancy cross needle is lying. Spliced up an old coax to an old firestik and clamped it to my woodstove. Matched it with the new meter and got a 2 with that sloppy woodstove setup. Was hopeful at this point. Decided to brave the cold and the dark with some lights setup. Moved my ground strap on the penetrator as suggested by a helpful fella on this site. Adjusted my penetrator for hours and hours with that new match meter. up and down and up and down. Never could get below a 3. Gave up a couple hours later. Cold, hungry, and depressed. Still cant get an even acceptable match with his antenna. Funny, that garbage setup on the woodstove with the old coax threw a 2. But my new rg8x and penetrator are still threatening to destroy my radio. I give up for the night. back to square 1. Anybody know how to test coax?

test coax? put a dummy load at one end, watt meter at radio end see what it says,, then move watt meter to dummy load end,, and see what it says there,, it should be close together,, if it is way apart your coax has loss which equals to a high swr,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated