• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Penetrator Measurements Corrected

JAF0

Oct 2, 2017
The Penetrator employs a very efficient matching network but the ground radial bracket plastic insulator cracks and builds up minerals in the crack which, when combined with moisture, causes a high voltage arc from radiator to ground, especially when operating with high wattage,

...which can really spoil your day.

Some have alleviated the problem by replacing the cheap ass garbage plastic insulator with a gray PVC or Teflon tube, but some fitment may be required.

So, that being said, the Penetrator is a 5/8 or.625 from the radial bracket up to the tip of the 10" top hat rods.

Many excellent performing antennas use no top hat and have no static issues, believe me, you do not want or need a top hat on your 5/8.

You do want the 5/8 radiator to be 268" long for center tuning 27.185 which is the actual center of band.

For 27.185mhz SWR centering shorten the 8' 9" radials to 8' 8" since the original Penetrator was designed for 1:1 SWR at 27.000, which is dead center of the whole 26.000-28.000 11meter band.

I always place a snug fitting yellow or red rubber cap over the top after I remove the top hat rods.

It's really that simple & that easy.

You might have to add a short piece of tubing to make the full 268".

Install,

Enjoy

Reactions: old goat 321

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.