• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

People always laugh when I give power number for Pres.Lincoln

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So this video is not 100% applicable but it does bring into focus the potential of these radio's. This one is a TS-5010 and is running the MRF477 but my Lincoln has the OEM MRF455 in it. It has most of the modifications from Rodger Birds site for power, recieve, mic audio etc. I posted this because the radio appears to be NOS or at least close to virgin and makes a good reference compared to all the ancient rebuilt a million and one times HR2510 we see all the time on youtube. The shop is also reputable and his figures can be trusted. I am just some crank on the internet! LOL Mine is considerably hotter witht he MRF455 in it especially on SSB. Some of the low number's I see on the internet regarding these radio's and the HR2510, HR2600, 2830, President Lincoln baffle me. usually people like to exagerate their number's but with these radio's it seems to be the reverse. I am not sure if that is age and too many golden screw drivers involved or if peoples meter's are faulty or they just have no clue what they are doing? I am guessing the double sided boards and through hole soldering is the cause of a lot of this but not sure. I think my radio has a hotter than stock driver but the last time I had the covers off was in 1998 when I bought it. With all the fuss with Mosfet conversions and radio's with 6 mosfet finals to get to 90-100 watts of output swing I just thought I would bring up a little gem from the past. Not perfect radio's for sure but I have never owned a perfect radio and I do not think anyone makes a perfect radio!

Deadkeying

20 swinging to 60 pep is very respectable for a single bipolar final radio.

my 455 final lincoln deadkeyed 70w FM in a quick test on 14v lp-100 meter & bird load, just wanted to see what it would do up full,
the old 477 final could manage almost 50w FM but not for long before tank circuit components fell off the board,
later 477 final lincolns & jacksons had the power restricted through resistor changes around the power presets so they would make about 30w and not self destruct.

my 455 final lincoln deadkeyed 70w FM in a quick test on 14v lp-100 meter & bird load, just wanted to see what it would do up full,
the old 477 final could manage almost 50w FM but not for long before tank circuit components fell off the board,
later 477 final lincolns & jacksons had the power restricted through resistor changes around the power presets so they would make about 30w and not self destruct.

(y) I like the part "the old 477 final could manage almost 50w FM but not for long before tank circuit components fell off the board" :ROFLMAO: They did tend to run a little "warm".

Reactions: Grogan
CK
in the early days of lincolns/2830's when somebody turned up at the door with no output id take the rig off them and shake it, if it rattled i knew id find a coil or a coil and cap floating around inside,
the 477's were not always damaged & the rig worked ok after the floaters were put back in.

I also like how he proves it is dead on frequency by talking on it and comparing it too his Yaesu. I find a frequency counter to be much more reliable for that. LOL

I have a Yaesu FT-890 that drifts so far off frequency I would not use it to verify any frequency. I replaced trimmer cap C2 with a better quality part and it does not drift any more. But still, using a radio that you know is not calibrated as a frequency standard is a real SHADE TREE MECHANIC thing to do.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.