1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

phantom power supply

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by jon666, Apr 30, 2018.

1. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

anyone have experience with a phantom power supply.i have a studio microphone and it runs on phantom power not sure how to hook it up. it has mic in mic.out has xlr plugs that plug in to the box. then plugs into power supply.
    any help would be appreciated. ive watched you [​IMG] tube videos but they only show how to hook it up to a computer
    thanks.

2. Robb

Robb Yup

A phantom power supply is needed for the condenser mic element itself to charge the element.. Once the element is properly charged with +48v, it can make audio. You can buy a unit that has this +48v feed built in for around $20. Amazon or Ebay has them.

Many mixing boards have this feature built in; but if you are going to run a condenser mic (v.cool!) w/o using a mixing board, then you will need an external unit. Not to worry about this voltage getting into you radio, as the output of these supplies have that voltage removed. It is just there on the mic input side to power the mic element and does not come out of the output.

3. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

ok thank you very much
    jon

4. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

A behringer 802 will give you phantom power, mic preamp and a 3 band eq.

5. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

to many buttons for me i already bought the power supply a heil ptt stand foot petal 5 cords. just need to hook it to the 48 volt power supply
    thanks

6. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Gotcha. I didn't know what exactly you were trying to of if you might need the mic preamp.

7. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

just trying to hook this condenser mic.up without blowing up my radio,

8. Robb

Robb Yup

I use the Behringer 2200 mic preamp, which has the +48v phantom power built in and is switchable.

But if I were to buy a new preamp w/phantom power today, quite sure I would get the 'Focusrite Scarlett Solo'. Which is pretty slick when one considers its features. Besides having switchable phantom power - it is also a top grade mic preamp (VERY low noise/distortion/phase issues). Focusrite is well-known and recognized in the recording industry.

It does require a computer USB connection. But this is a plus, since they also provide the cool ProTools software suite. Which has its own learning curve; but not all that difficult. ProTools will also provide digital EQ, Compression, and a few other cool audio tools - all in one package deal. Pretty cool beans for $100..

ShadeTreeMechanic and 543_Dallas like this.
  9. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

its cool i figured it out. working great.
    thanks

10. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Is it bad forum etiquette to continue discussion of something once the original problem is solved? It could be useful to someone someday. I sometimes get the feeling people want the thread shut down after their question is answered or feel they're being pressured to change their mind.

11. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

no not at all . i just wanted to tell everybody i got it fixed.
    nothing more.post away.

12. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

robb is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo hard to use. this mixer stuff is all new for me. i have never used a mixer before can a dummy like me be able to figure it out.
    thanks

13. Robb

Robb Yup

Tough to hook up? Not really. Never owned one. Like I said, it will require a laptop/desktop USB to use the software. Since the HiFi guys like to use compression, EQ and perhaps reverb, that is all in the software suite with a few other audio tools.. Might be a YouTube viddy about it if you are interested.

14. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

ok thank you. i watched a few youtube vids. seems easy enough price is good. i may order one, and do some research.see what i come up with
    thanks robb

15. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

im not interested about reverb or echo i hate them maybe just the preamp