• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PHANTOM

donemad

Jun 21, 2008
HELLO,CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MANY WATTS A PHANTOM 10 TUBER IS SUPPOSED TO DO? IT,S 4 DRIVING 6 THEY ARE ALL 6LQ6......THANKS

i dont ususally get more than 600 - 700 watts myself but i have seen 900 1 time and 1 time only. it could have been a fluke

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MANY WATTS A PHANTOM 10 TUBER IS SUPPOSED TO DO?
It's funny how many different RF wattage ratings there are listed for the 10 & 12 tube Phantoms!!
I've owned several (8 or 9) 12 tube amps, & using either a Maco 5Kw, a Palomar 500, or Bird 43P watt meter... I normally would see around 850 - 900 clean watts out w/ 15-20 watts of drive. Thats the 12 tube amp w/ NOS tubes, & not beating it to death w/ a driver!
The ONLY time I could ever squeeze more than 1 Kw of clean "usable" wattage (on my Bird43P), was to put a 30 amp service in my radio room. With a 30 amp service, (& a 1 tube driver @ 45 watts!), the 12 tuber was grunting @ 1300 watts! Problem was..., @ that output the tubes would get hotter than the "little old man" fan could cool off!
Unless you like to fry eggs on your amp, & have a unlimited supply of tubes, try driving it w/ 2-3 dead key, 8-10 watts swing, & run your final output around 500-600 watts.
It should sound "10-8" & last a long time! 73's!

oh yes the tales i have heard about the 12 tubers
and the 1500 to 2000 watts they put out

i going with the 800 to 900 watt readings

For a fairly close estimate, look up the plate dissipation rating for the tubes used. Multiply by the number of tubes used. That total is what you can expect without the tubes going into the 'melt-down' process. Can you get more than that? Sure, for a while, then you start buying tubes.
That assumes that you're talking about 'AM' or 'FM' modes. For 'SSB' expect almost twice that 'total', sort of.
- 'Doc

Buying tubes in box car loads can make the difference!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.