• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pilot Travel Centers Settles Forfeiture Order

Wow getting kind of personal arn't we?
It's this kind of talk from so called licensed hams that are the down fall of ham radio and why year after year ham radio dies a slow but never ending death. And before you run your mouth yes I am a Ham with a extra class license.
I still must ask where in the rules does it state that ham operators are the gods of radio? where does it say that the hams are the sheriff's of the 11 meter band? If it does please point me to the rule that says so. Thanks I await the rule number.
I still wonder why you must compare radio to drugs? who ever over dosed on ham radio/CB?

"I still must ask where in the rules does it state that ham operators are the gods of radio? where does it say that the hams are the sheriff's of the 11 meter band?"

Well, let's see. The FCC is now using the ARRL as an independent testing lab as far as CB certification goes....

And if you look at the history of the whole 10 meter "export" battle, you will find that hams cried for help, the FCC said "show me" and the string of citations/fines continues to this day.

If not hams, then who will do it? Hams seem to suffer the most at the hands of these export rigs, so if no one else will do it, then I guess hams are it by default.

"And before you run your mouth yes I am a Ham with a extra class license."

That doesn't mean as much as it used to. Please provide us with years of licensing, total feet of tower climbed, maximum Morse copying ability, and cumulative RF exposure over the years. And oh, don't forget to include how many times you've either received RF burns or HV electrical shocks.

The FCC is now using the ARRL as an independent testing lab as far as CB certification goes....

They are not checking for certified CB's. In the response they are stated to evaluate "Amateur Radios" that they may sell in the future to make sure they only transmit on the amateur bands.

ii. Prior to the sale or marketing of Amateur Radio Service transmitters,
Pilot will ensure that the transmitters have been reviewed by the
Technical Department Laboratory of the American Radio Relay League,
Inc. ("ARRL") and found to transmit only in Amateur Radio Service
bands.

yama junk owna said:
CWM you still didn't address my question in that why does the FCC even bother with truck stops and rinky dink cb shops? Why not go to the ports and get the junk when it comes in? ( I dislike exports as well but for a different reason, that is most of them are junk that people are ripped off with.) Busting a truck stop is not going to change a thing, they got to stop it at the source, and the FCC don't seem to want to do that,why?

Another thing any grown man that gets out on the road and chases trucks is more childish than the fellow talking where he don't belong. This kind of foolish BS is why no one wants to fool with Ham radio to start with. There are better ways to deal with it than being a jerk!!!!

NO ONE is or was deliberately going out just following trucks or chasing them down :evil: However, hams, like anybody else have business to attend to, errands to run, and places to go. Therefore, they were asked by FCC, while in the course of their activities, to document the illegal transmissions of truckers while on the road. So a large numbers of trucking companies were warned to curtail their drivers' activities on 28 MHZ or face the consequences. ("You are requested to call me at the earliest to discuss this matter" went the letter. The fed got tons of FREE information as to what trucking companies' drivers were doing this. And it sure put a dent in the activities. Besides, the drivers never knew they were being watched or documented.

As to the ports and importers, I am asking this question to certain "friends" now. ;) Nothing would tickle me more than to see the importers get nailed!

CWM

This particular citation has nothing to do with band edges. It has to do with a store selling non-type accepted radios.

I mean, why would a group that uses CB radio NEED ham radios in a truck stop when a license ham knows where to find reputable dealers? C'mon, a little common sense is in order

That reasoning is absolutely illogical. If it is perfectly legal for Ham Radio Outlet to sell amateur radios, then it is perfectly legal for any truck stop, whether a truck driver needs it or not. For a truck stop to sell amateur radios is neither illegal, or unreasonable. Heck, if they started selling regular VHF/UHF rigs, maybe the hobby might flourish again. What IS unreasonable is that the only thing that seperates a 10 meter "export" rig from a FCC certified 10 meter rig according to this ruling is that the ARRL gets to pass judgement without any published or documented criteria. The fact that the FCC is putting this entire matter into the hands of a third party without any audit or oversight is hypocritical and wrong. If I were Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu I would be paying any price the ARRL wanted to keep 10 meter "exports" off the market.

Bravo very well said.
What I gather from reading all of this is the fcc can't do it's own mandated job. I wonder if anyone in congress knows that the fcc has employed a lobby group to do a part of it's job.

Cyclops1970 to answer some of your questions
My lic is over 40 years old.
Total feet of tower climed I really can't remember but I have climed over 25 towers in my lifetime one tower was over 250 feet tall ( I was a lot younger than) How does this make a ham a better ham?? Some ham's climbed more some climbed less some never climbed a single tower like my friends who I climbed their towers for them are you trying to tell me that because they won't climb a tower that they are bad hams/ You must be a real twit to think like that.
The rest is none of your business as I do not need to tell you my whole life story. Because I do not know you.You are not my boss ( I own my own company) I am not married to you and I don't sleep with you. Why must you know my and others whole life history who made you the spokesman for this web forum? you said provide "us" who is us? for this type of info use PM.

Like Mole said, I too wonder how the ARRL got included in the mix. From my understanding they are an organization that represents Amateurs. I don't see how they can be used to as a legal arm for the FCC. The FCC has their own labs to test equipment. I don't see how the testing the ARRL does can be figured to be totally unbiased in their testing. I've mentioned this before, my 757GX is 10-160 meters. There is a switch placed in the factory behind the faceplate that once pushed opens the Transmit on 11 meters. Amateurs aren't allowed to transmit on 11 meters on their HF rigs. Why the switch ? Now talk about "design". How much more simple design qualifies to make this radio illegal ? But it is a Yaesu and because of that I would bet the ARRL would not disqualify it.

Sonwatcher makes a great point about the hf rigs, does anyone really think that by killing the exports that freebanding will stop? It won't because these hf radios are way to easy to convert, most are a lot easier than the exports. The reason I don't like the exports is because most of them are cheap made and splatter all over the place. Now this is the biggy if a person walks into a ham radio store and lays out the funds for a new radio do you thank they will not sell it to him because he don't have a ticket? Folks the business world don't work like that, besides a person has the right to buy any legal radio they want to, its up to the final user to use it in the right manner.

Now as far as personal insults, go ahead lay it on me I can take it, but you all know I speak the truth, the ARRL and a lot of hams are killing their own hobby with nothing more than hard headedness and childish behavior

Yama,

On a lighter note, is that engine on your sig file from a particular road, or just a generic steam engine? Are you a ralfan, etc? I retired from a railroad career. You ought to have to hand up orders to one of those steam trains from on the ballast! I never got used to handing up to the steam trains.
Scary! :p

CWM

is that engine on your sig file from a particular road

Looks like a Reading Railroad T-1 engine.
I rode behind one of those in the early '60s as a "yoot" (youth) during the Reading Iron Horse Rambles.

As far as the thread, I am also confused as to the involvement of the ARRL in the testing of radios for certification by the FCC.

The ARRL is a lobby group for amateur radio, and as such can be influenced by special interest groups, such as manufactures.
This would be like the BATF allowing the NRA to determine which firearms should be offered for sale, and to whom.

Checks and balances are part of our government. This arrangement seems to throw things out of balance.
I would like more clarification on this if anyone has some more info.

CW

Yeah I like trains allways have I was raised beside the old Clinchfield railroad, it's CSX now. The Loco is a 4-8-4, # 2140 I think, not sure what road its from, I got the pic from a net search for 4-8-4's. Let's be civil and go to the general section and have a discussion about engines, would you want to?

yama junk owna said:
CW

Yeah I like trains allways have I was raised beside the old Clinchfield railroad, it's CSX now. The Loco is a 4-8-4, # 2140 I think, not sure what road its from, I got the pic from a net search for 4-8-4's. Let's be civil and go to the general section and have a discussion about engines, would you want to?

SURE!

Well, I'll be darned. Small world ain't it???

Born and raised beside the Clinchfield tracks as well. Know the route from Clincho to Dungannon, VA like the back of my hand!!

Ok I'm gonna apogize right now but I still gotta say it. Cmw please answer the question? I noticed when the true facts got layed out you changed the subject?the question is HOW IS THE ARRL EVEN REMOTELY QUALIFIED TO MAKE THIS KIND OF DETERMINATION WITHOUT ANY BIAS? or are they going to start representing the 11 meter crowd too? I'm sorry if it appears I'm attacking but I realy would like your side of the story.Not trying to stir the pot but we started a realy good discussion and Cmw derailed it (pun intended).

Chuck

CHARLEYMARBLES said:
Ok I'm gonna apogize right now but I still gotta say it. Cmw please answer the question? I noticed when the true facts got layed out you changed the subject?the question is HOW IS THE ARRL EVEN REMOTELY QUALIFIED TO MAKE THIS KIND OF DETERMINATION WITHOUT ANY BIAS? or are they going to start representing the 11 meter crowd too? I'm sorry if it appears I'm attacking but I realy would like your side of the story.Not trying to stir the pot but we started a realy good discussion and Cmw derailed it (pun intended).

Chuck

How the blazes do I know? I didn't make that decision! Why don't you ask FCC why? I saw where they had apparently assigned *some* of it over to ARRL, but I tend to agree that it should be FCC's job to do it. However, it should be pretty easy for any technical lab to tell the difference in a REAL 40 channel, 4 watt CB, and something such as the so-called "10 meter 'Amateur' radios masquerading as "CB" radios whose purpose is get around Parts 95 AND 97. It simply does not take "bands" of 'channels' to cover the 40 ASSIGNED CB channels. Amateur radios don't NEED nor do they USE "channels", Charlie, and that, to anyone who knows anything about the two distinct radio services, should be easy to distinguish. So, it shouldn't make any difference WHICH "lab" evaluated them, it still would, IMHO, remain that a CB radio has F-O-R-T-Y distinct and pre-selected. channels with NO additional features or "bands" that indicate to the user that there are extended channels for their exclusive
use. However, to avoid the appearance of any conflict of interest, *I* would keep testing strictly within FCC's labs. I do not know why they did this. All I care about is a successful solution to the problem of 11 Meter users who show up on frequencies they have no business on--especially the ham bands. As to ARRL, the organization has been fully involved in the problem of CBers/truckers on 1O meters from the git-go. Remember: they are NOT interested in 40 channel CB radios, but if they have one sent in to evaluate, and it has "bands" of
"channels", echo and roger beep, and says "10 Meter Amateur" radio, chances are FCC will be alerted and the seller will be advised NOT to offer them for sale. But, again, *I* did not make the decision to have ARRL involved. You would have to talk to Mr Brock (lbrock@fcc.gov) about who, what, why.

Just as info, I've talked to "certain" people who tell me that the
deal on radio inspections at scales is STILL on. Now that Pilot has made their "voluntary contribution" 8) ", it makes it easier for FCC to go back after the dealers who were warned or cited previously and issue fines to them or STIFFER fines for their continued sales of "10 meter" radios. They will PAY for their defiance! :twisted: Pilot just enhanced their use of legal "precedence". Some "major" and well-known dealers who have confidently chirped "We kin sell 'Amateur' radios and FCC cain't do nuttin' about hit" are about to be surprised! It's going to be interesting, and I am looking forward to it. So I guess that ARRL Labs, etc. will have work to do soon! I didn't SAY I thought it was the best way to do it, and I had no say in how they came up with this decision! I just remain hopeful that, in spite of the hoopla, one day legitimate and legal radio frequencies will be FREE of interlopers and band thieves. I'm sure that they will always be *some* people who filch frequencies, but, as FCC ratchets up enforcement as best they can, they will find that it is NOT a good idea.

It's what I think, and I'm stickin' to it!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.