• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pl259 solder? nah......

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
check this out:

PL259 Connectors - Taming The PL259 Connector by VE3VDC

summary - Putting PL 259 on coax:

1. Strip off 3/4" of outer insulation.
2. Fold the braid back over the outer coax insulation.
3. Cut away the inner insulation close to the edge of the braid, exposing the center wire.
4. Tin but do not cut the center wire at this time.
5. Slip the outer ring onto the coax.
6. Twist the connector housing onto the coax, over the exposed braid.
7. Solder the center pin and cut away the excess wire.
8. Bring the outer ring forward and you're done.

Let the flames begin......

COAX CONNECTER 101?? LMAO! Believe it or not there are radio operators who do not have any clue how to do this. :blink:

check this out:

PL259 Connectors - Taming The PL259 Connector by VE3VDC

summary - Putting PL 259 on coax:

1. Strip off 3/4" of outer insulation.
2. Fold the braid back over the outer coax insulation.
3. Cut away the inner insulation close to the edge of the braid, exposing the center wire.
4. Tin but do not cut the center wire at this time.
5. Slip the outer ring onto the coax.
6. Twist the connector housing onto the coax, over the exposed braid.
7. Solder the center pin and cut away the excess wire.
8. Bring the outer ring forward and you're done.

Let the flames begin......

I prefer to solder the braid as well but I have been known to cut corners, when in a hurry and when the cable will be indoors, by doing that way.

Boy, I had all but forgotten about LD,VE3VDC. He was on another forum I was a moderator on a while back. I'll just describe him as "different". :unsure:

COAX CONNECTER 101?? LMAO! Believe it or not there are radio operators who do not have any clue how to do this. :blink:

Nah, the point is: Soldering a pl259 is not an absolute must.

I have seen so many bad connectors because the connector was overheated during soldering and in turn caused the melted dielectric to ooze about and push the center conductor to one side while cooling - causing a partial short that in time becomes a dead short or open.

Sometimes the simple things in life are good - and you won't burn your fingers. :)

Wanna really have some fun? Try your hand at putting a N connector on 7/8" andrews hardline!;)
n9zas

here's the deal folks.

regardless of whether or not that little space of unshielded center conductor makes any difference in signal bla bla blah...

the truth is; these connectors are going to get torqued on, screwed in, twisted, and who knows what else in their life span.

if you do not solder the braid to the connector, the cable will move, and eventually it will put enough stress on the center conductor to break it.
either that, or leave just enough of it connected that it works until you use it in a high power situation.

then the head scratching will start. LOL

just my 2 S-units,
LC

I have seen way too many cables with intermittent connections, so I always solder both the center conductor and the braid on mine and my customers installations.

PR

"if you do not solder the braid to the connector, the cable will move, and eventually it will put enough stress on the center conductor to break it."

thats what i was thunkin'

"either that, or leave just enough of it connected that it works until you use it in a high power situation."

so it becomes like a fuse .... ;) ??

If you have ever twisted a pl259 over the braid on LMR400 you would be convinced that sucker is there for life. It is an extremely tight fit. Anyway, just one of those things......

A couple tricks I use to solder the braid.

Before you install the connector at all, take a metal file that you would you to sharpen a chain saw chain and file across the four little holes that you use to solder the braid to the connector so that they end up being ovals. This will give you roughed up metal and clean off the edges of the holes so that you have soft metal and not plated metal.

Then put a tiny drop of liquid flux in each of the four holes after you put the connector over the wires. Now when you solder you don't need to get the entire thing hot. The flux will pull the solder in the holes and it solders much faster.

Hope this helps other out. I installed a lot of connectors before I finally thought about this way of doing it. If anyone has any questions just ask.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.