• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Plastic safe cleaner?

silvereagle1

May 4, 2012
Hi all what cleaner's do you use - and what is the best way to use them? Also can they be used on tube type Raidos and Amps? Thanks God Bless.

i use good old soap and water... inside and out.
never had any type of failure or release of magic smoke.
just use common sense, i know it's a thing of the past in the digital age but it comes in handy :D

My truck has plastic on the bumpers and roof and the sun oxidizes the plastic and turns it from grey to a aweful ashy white...so I use warm water and soap then I use simple green than to bring the color back I use a spray from orielys autoparts it is $7.99 I can't think of the name but its the only stuff the fixs up the plastic.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

The best all-purpose cleaner I have found is WESLEY'S BLEECHE WHITE. Originally marketed for cleaning white wall tires, it works wonders and is safe for just about everything; plastic, paint, metal, rubber. Walmart has it.

You mean to tell me i can clean the inside of a cb Raido with soap and water? Things such as simple green and such. Will this hurt the tunners and caps meaters that are inside the Raido. Just want to make sure befor i tear something up. On tube type Amps and Raidos do you pull the tubs or leave them in? will this cause rust to form inside the raido? Thanks God Bless :unsure:

You mean to tell me i can clean the inside of a cb Raido with soap and water? Things such as simple green and such. Will this hurt the tunners and caps meaters that are inside the Raido. Just want to make sure befor i tear something up. On tube type Amps and Raidos do you pull the tubs or leave them in? will this cause rust to form inside the raido? Thanks God Bless :unsure:

Use water that has no salt...

As long as you use some common sense, YES.

If it is wet, let it dry completely before you apply power.

I have washed many radios as well as a couple of amplifiers, both tube type and transistor, in the sink with running water and dish soap.

I had a friend bring me a cobra 19 that they found in a mud hole and it was filled with dried mud and nasty.
I took the covers off, filled the sink with warm water and dish soap and dropped the radio in the sink while I hand washed the covers with the same soapy water and a nylon brush.
The radio soaked for two days before I was able to get it completely clean then i let it dry under a desk lamp for a week before I applied power and tuned it and they ran that radio for at least 2 years, until they bought a new radio, without any problems from the water.

The only thing in a can or bottle that I use on a radio is compressed air and armor all/ son of a gun.

Hey folks what is the best way to discharge a tube amp so i dont get the crap bit out of me. I recall my Dad useing a scewdriver that was about a foot long and real thin to short out the caps and across the tubes to the case. I want to clean them up on the inside and clean the tunner's and such. Any help with this i would be greatfull. And if you know tell me the best way to do this tubes and caps Thanks .

Hey folks what is the best way to discharge a tube amp so i dont get the crap bit out of me. I recall my Dad useing a scewdriver that was about a foot long and real thin to short out the caps and across the tubes to the case. I want to clean them up on the inside and clean the tunner's and such. Any help with this i would be greatfull. And if you know tell me the best way to do this tubes and caps Thanks .

Static%20Discharge%20Stick.jpg

A safety stick.

That looks like something you work on power lines with. Maybe i should leave it to the pro's . I wacthed Dad do this and he had some type of meter he would use sometime as well. It was most likely something like you posted. I know he always said keep your finger's out of there or it will knock you on your As-. This is not my idea of a real good time. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.