• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Plate Modulate a Tube CW TX

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I have a Heathkit HW-16 that I would like to get on AM phone with. I have been doing some research. So basically do I just put a modulation transformer in line with the plate voltage input of the tube? (what is pin 6 on the 6CL6) Also should I modulate the driver or the final tube? The tube line-up is 6CL6 osc. 6CL6 driver and 6GE5 final.

T23

Attachments

• HW-16 Plate Modulate.JPG
    HW-16 Plate Modulate.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 216

Pin 6 on the 6CL6 is the plate. For true plate modulation you connect the secondary of a modulation transformer in series with the B+ line and the plate lead of the tube. The primary of the mod tranny is connected to the audio input source.Properly done requires knowledge of the plate input impedance as well as the impedance of the transformer's primary and secondary windings and ideally things should be matched. In this case however with such low power involved it should not be a big deal. A tube like the 6CLC and even the 6146B is usually grid modulated for carrier controlled type modulation rather than plate modulation due to the fact that with that method the tubes actually "rest" better between voice peaks and it is easier of the tubes due to less heat.

Ok, I see. I was looking into grid modulation too, but saw that at voice peaks the output actually dropped of, negative swing if you will. So it looks like. I'll modulate the driver then.

T23

If I were to grid/screen modulate this transmitter, would I connect the modulation transformer the same way? It might be better. This way, I believe the voltage is lower on the grid.

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.