• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Please help. When I key up, my engine stalls!

The best way to know if its an RF problem or a DC current draw problem is to key the amp (full power) into dummy load instead of antenna.
You need to have the full DC load without any RF radiation.
If you still have problem with non-radiating dummyload, then you need to look at alternator.

OK...This is where I figured out I have a RFI issue...

I disconnected the alternators from my battery pack in the back of the truck, and just ran the 16 pill off of batterys (nothing was connected to the trucks electrical system except for the radio)

I key-up and start talking while in Park, and everything worked great! No lights dimming, no motor stalls...Perfect!

Then before i ran the batterys dead I decided to take a spin around the block...I get away from the house, then Keyed up the 16 pill, and wham. Engine started cutting out again or it could be that the transmission was just acting up. But regardless, it could only be RFI causing the problem, since the 16 pill was not connected to anything other than batterys...

Finally found my RFI Problem today....It was the Timing Sensor. RF was messing with the sensor and throwing the Timing off. I replaced the Timing Sensor, ran a grounding strap off it to the frame, and Now every things just perfect.

Timing Sensor didn't have anything to do with the voltage drop tho...But once I solved the voltage dropping problem by replacing the alternators, then I was sure the rest of the problem was just RFI related...Tracking down the RFI problem was not the easiest thing I think I have ever done tho...Talk about a head-ache!

now the question is, was it the RF that caused the timing sensor to go bad in the first place?
LC

Probably didn't help it...But NO, I don't think so. The 250,000 miles, and being 12 years old probably had more to do with it than anything...That, and the fact it was coated in oil...

According to the guy at Autozone, "OIL" getting inside the Timing Belt cover and settling all over the sensor is what usually causes them to mess-up. If you spill oil while pouring it in the motor, it can get inside the timing belt cover and over years build up at mess with the sensor...Or, the oil could simply be leaking a little around the covers gasket and build up...

Either way, the Sensor had little if any ground, since the Timing Belt cover has a gasket between it and the motor-block...

I could probably had just taken the sensor off, cleaned it up and stuck it back on, with the ground strap and it may have been OK...But since I was going to have to remove it anyway, thats why I just decided to go a head and replace it....couldn't hurt!

My last truck with my 4 pill if I key to to high on the deadkey it made stall out

Not fun at highway speeds never figured out the problem just got a different truck and no problem now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.