• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable Antenna Choices

KK3Q

Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2013
EL98go
www.kk3q.net
If you had to carry an antenna around for possible emergency use which would it be? I am writing a little ebook about the 6 choices that I might consider:

Multi-Band dipole
Cage dipole
Single-band-dipoles
Off-center fed dipole
Vertical dipoles
Delta loops

Of course the antenna would need to be constructed from wire (no room for aluminum or fiberglass).

None of the above. 80m doublet with balanced feedline and a small tuner with a balun. It would be very forgiving of set up configuration, either flat top or inverted vee, and you can cover outside the bands if you had to with the tuner. Of your chooces it would be a multiband dipole to cover as many bands as possible with one antenna.

A fan dipole would certainly work, but it's more complicated, probably not as easy to put up, and will take a little bit more room. Right? Nothing says it wouldn't work just dandy though. It could also be classified under that 'multi-band dipole' though?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks to all for the quick responses. To begin with, the more I think about the cage dipole the more I'm thinking of removing it from the list. There's no way I see this as being very portable and it would likely wind up in a heap after being packed away.

As for the fan dipole NTM suggests I will add that to the list of different multi-band dipoles. Probably have that and trap dipoles, etc.

In regards to the setup CK recommends, I was trying to stay away from tuners if at possible. But then again, this setup makes more sense as one never knows what band will be open in these situations. Plus it adds lower bands for flexibility with bands open more at night as I was sort of leaning towards 20 meters and up. So I think I'll substitute the cage dipole with the setup CK suggests. I'll just add a little info on small tuners when discussing this antenna.

Thanks again for the help.

What about..
a portable vhf / uhf handheld beam

mine closes down to 20 inches long and 5 inches wide
very portable and good to add to your bug out antenna gear

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.