1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Portable antenna for cb

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by xm49north7, Jan 25, 2020.

1. xm49north7

xm49north7 Well-Known Member

Portable cb antenna.jpg

2. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

I like it. I’m planning to use a 20’ telescopic crappie pole to make a portable half wave. Yet to see how that works out...

Woody-202 and xm49north7 like this.
  3. xm49north7

Ya these poles are really amazing, and cheap, and so light weight, I am looking forward to some hill top qrp in the spring. Let me know what you use for a battery. I have not found a power source yet. Still scrounging. Going to use a realistic trc-465, ssb radio, on this antenna, already did a test of this antenna, and radio, and managed 30 kilometers (18.7 miles), a number of times, had it mounted at 36 feet to center, just to give me some idea as to performance. It worked quite well. Should be fine in the 800 to 900 foot hills about an hour away. Trying to make this setup as light as possible for backpacking into remote areas.

4. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

North7, I made a model that shows almost identical results. (y)

5. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

GP Homebrew.jpg

WECSOG, Mudfoot, RT431 and 3 others like this.
  6. xm49north7

Thanks you for the input; good to know it is correct, I am building this now in the workshop. I think it is about the lightest, and easiest antenna to deploy in the field. I would prefer one of my loops, but it takes a fair pole to get one in the air. I wanted an antenna that requires no matching, want to keep it light and simple, and with a dipole I can always hang it any witch way, horiz/inverted v, straight vertical, I just like the birdsmouth, it gets the coax out of the way enough, has good swr, and good pattern.

Redbeard U812 likes this.
  7. xm49north7

Yes very similar output to the birds mouth I drew up, just with the birds mouth in the field, only one leg to tie out, and almost identical performance, birds mouth a little better off the side, just a pinch oval, over omni. And less wire to carry. This will be in my backpack so every gram is counted, and discarded if possible.

8. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

You can string the dipole from a tree, horz or vert. Small weight and string, throw it over selected branch. Or my favorite, use a fishing pole to get the weight up and over, more accurate, gets you higher. Good luck, have fun.

9. Riverman

Riverman Intermittent Member

I used a configuration similar to this for 20 meters (using a Wolf River coil and a 102” steel whip just 4’ above ground and noticed almost no difference when using a single wire radial or three. I usually ran just the single (fewer yard obstructions to watch out for) and kept it pointed toward Europe. One night I talked to Hawaii off the backside. :D

10. Redbeard U812

Attached Files:

xm49north7 and Riverman like this.
  11. Riverman

Riverman Intermittent Member

He he. :whistle:
    Easy come, easy go.

12. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

For a battery I would consider a Lithium Ion Jump Starter. Harbor Freight has one for $80, possibly less with a coupon. 1.4 pounds total, less if you leave the jumper cables behind.

13. Redbeard U812

What's the run time per amp draw on that thing? Some of Harbor Freight stuff has gone from disposable to semi dependable. Got an eight drawer rolling tool cabinet for $260 w/ discount, dropped the damned thing accidentally off tail gate....flop, shit, awe man! Took the cardboard off...not a scratch. Tough SOB.

Slowmover likes this.
  14. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

Specifications state it has a 12,000mAh battery
    450 Peak Amps off the jump start cables
    It has a 12V 6 Amp out connection to run your radio and a 5V 2 Amp USB port to charge your cellphone.

Mudfoot and xm49north7 like this.
  15. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

The tool boxes are some of the best deals. I have an older 44”, and two roll carts. Excellent stuff at the price.

Mudfoot likes this.