• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable Telescoping Pole Setup Help

IronGuts

Mar 3, 2012
Looking for a telescoping pole setup for temporary applications at home or on the road. Currently it'd be used with a 1/2 or 5/8 wave CB/10 m vertical antenna, then for ham in the future. I'd like something that doesn't need to be guyed, or only maybe 1 set of guys that can be done in a pinch, because this would be for temporary mobile applications (camping, a day on the hill, in the yard, etc.) with not a lot of room. I'd only do this in non-windy conditions if unguyed. Is there any product available to do this? Max Gain? Aluminum push-up flag poles? I have no experience with this, and I don't know if fiberglass or aluminum bends too much, or which is better. The steel Rohn style poles are too long when stowed. What would minimum specs need to be for this application (antennas weight around 6 or 8 pounds, and are 17 to 22 feet tall)? This would be used mostly for DXing, so how high do I need to go? I've read the antenna base needs to be up 36 feet minimum for 11 meter verticals, but is this really so? I did see a very nice anodized telescoping flag pole locally, but it was only 20 feet. Seemed strong. Lots of options (materials, heights) out there and that can be overwhelming. Finally, I'd like something that collapses down into something 6 feet or so or less so it can fit in the bed of my truck. I'd likely use a drive-on base or a stakeable tripod. Thanks for your suggestions!!! I know this is a lot to answer, but any help is appreciated.

Penninger Radio makes a few products that will work for you. I purchased a lightweight tripod and telescoping aluminum mast that will work without guys for lightweight vertical antennas. The mast is only 20 feet tall. They have a ton of other portable options for heavy duty antennas, as well. None of this stuff is cheap, but it will do what you need.

Yes, that is the mast I have. I wouldn't trust it with a big, heavy antenna, but it would work fine with one of the fiberglass models. Something like an Imax 2000 would be fine on it.

Not a bad price for a pre-built go anywhere antenna.

meant to be easy to make from a 6m carbon carp rod,a unun and a wire.You could even use the carp rod and set up an inverted V dipole or inverted L if you are near a tree to fix to

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.