• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power mic on SSB?

A good stock mic on SSB will sound better than a noise canceller. Modulation over 100% is defeating on SSB because you will over drive the ALC and your speech will be clipped and garbled.

Not true in my case. I run a ranger 198 NC mic on my uniden ssb with great reports and far superior audio than the stock mic. Run the 198 with gain maxed on the 980 but I am barefoot. No Amp. Can talk with the windows down in the car with no wind/noise bleed. With an amp I would run it pob' at 1 or 2(low gain). Just my experience.

Heil HMM. Has noise cancellation built in and a response which peaks 2-2.4kHz which is what is required for articulation, the thing you need to be understood.

I love the Turner +3 for sideband but, my very favorite is the D104 UG-8 stand, a non-amplified crystal head mic. it's perfectly clear, not tinny and it doesn't overdrive the ALC.

Reactions: hobie102
I love the Turner +3 for sideband but, my very favorite is the D104 UG-8 stand, a non-amplified crystal head mic. it's perfectly clear, not tinny and it doesn't overdrive the ALC.

+2 on that. Talked to a few stations running the Turner. Ya can tell they are using them. Beautiful audio. Punchy, transparent and incredibly clear. If I were going to run a non-studio mic setup, the Turner would be my first choice.

I find this thread an excellent example of how many different answers there can be to one question. When it comes to radio communications there are fewer written in stone rules then there are what works best for you and your particular station setup. if I listened to everyone who sad my a99 9' off the ground wouldn't work and others said go for it as it was my omly choice. It worked great. Better than expected. Perfect swr. Excellent Reports and there's still people who rag on my antenna install. I've learned that there are very few rules that can't be bent, broken and or smashed to prices and the outcome can and will most of the time be positive, within reason. smoke'm if you gottem.

Reactions: 357magnum
I run a D104M6B when dxing. When local I run a turner M+2/U. The turner has had the best responses of any mic I have owned including the Heil GM5.

I run a D104M6B when dxing. When local I run a turner M+2/U. The turner has had the best responses of any mic I have owned including the Heil GM5.
I should mention I run the original rci 2950 for mobile and a rci 2970n2. I'm 54 and have been ssb since 1967, that's right. I have.run many many dif radios , Icom 745 ,Yeasu, HR2510 ECT. I always go back to the ranger 2950 2970 radios. Are they the best, probably not. Just my personal cup of tea.

I've ran several mics over the years with many radios and my personal preference (y'all gonna laugh) is a Workman Superstar DM-507 mic. They cost like 8 bucks. Nice full sound without sounding too flat or too squeaky. It is a stock mic, no power or noise cancelling. If you're after a desk mic, the Turner +2 is hard to beat.

~Cheers~

I should mention I run the original rci 2950 for mobile and a rci 2970n2. I'm 54 and have been ssb since 1967, that's right. I have.run many many dif radios , Icom 745 ,Yeasu, HR2510 ECT. I always go back to the ranger 2950 2970 radios. Are they the best, probably not. Just my personal cup of tea.
Sorry. One more thing. The only radios I have regretted parting with were the SuperStar 360 and AR3500. Antenna Wilson 2000 and 5000, all I run !

I've tried the turner +3 and astaic d10 on my Madison (uniden) and the best reports are with my silver eagle 1/8 on the potentiometer with the radios mic gain turned all the way up. Trial and error are you best friends when trying to get a radio and mic dialled in. Your voice carectoristics will factor in to what works best for you. Good luck.
I have a grant lt behind a ts 250 hdv with a road devil mic. As I'm new to SSB, would it be best to just run a noise canceling mic and skip the extra power? I run it at around 1 or 2 on the slider anyway. I don't see the grant over driving a 2 pill so I can't imagine a problem from that.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.