• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power needed for a 2995 DX

Fisherman100

Aug 9, 2010
Amos, Québec, Canada
Hello guys (and girls),

I'm new on this forum.

Can somebody tell me the power consumption of a Ranger 2995 DX radio.

Mainly, how many amperes (I'm French and hope it's the good word) does it uses when transmitting.

I just bought one and still waiting for it to arrive. I was wondering if the 30 amperes I have in the socket of my garage will be enough to drive it.

Thank's for reply.

Station 625 Quebec Canada standing by.

mabey 2.5a full tilt (your 230v vs our 112v). if possiable try to lower the output from stock, these radios generally are tuned pretty high from the factory and sometimes dammage the amp section of the radio. you wont notice a difference in output other than what a watt meter shows.

mabey 2.5a full tilt (your 230v vs our 112v). if possiable try to lower the output from stock, these radios generally are tuned pretty high from the factory and sometimes dammage the amp section of the radio. you wont notice a difference in output other than what a watt meter shows.

Hi,

in fact we're on 120 v in Canada, as you.

I'm asking this question because I'll get the radio this week and, for two months, I'll have to be install in my garage. The socket is 10 feet from my setup. So I won't be able to plug the radio directly in. Will it be possible to plug the radio in an electric cord of 10 feet, giving 15 amperes max.

Thank's for reply.

73s

I was going to say that a 35 - 50 amp 12 volt power supply is perfect and more than enough with leaving plenty of breathing room for a 2970 so all standard AC outlets if 110 - 220 Volt are plenty to run these power supplies in the high power base radios.

The only time it becomes a touchy subject is when your running multiple 50 amp or bigger supplies when running bigger amplifiers because they start drawing pretty hard thats why AC amplifiers are more practicle because a 12 volt device at high power output start eating amperage and can become havoc if not dangerous to house wiring if not set up for it.

Last edited:
i though canada was 220v, ah well in that case you still only need maybey 3.5 amps free. the radio drawss a few miliamps and the theramperage will be for the output transistors. 1 amp in thery will support a little under 100 watts. the radio will do around 250w-300w so its fine.

just try to keep the power output in check, many times they come pushing to much power and it will eat up your finals or push the power supply beyond its limits. the power supplys are better than they used to be but back in the saturn/ saturn turbo says when you pushed them hard the regulators would go and throw 20v threw the board and fry just about everything along the way.

there better but still not bulletproof.

I remember people trying to get every last watt out of those saturn turbos and poof they would just let go and as you said not all were a simple poof. Some said sizzle sizzle sizzle sizzle pop then poof.

Ive seen traces lifted off boards where they look like roller coaster tracks at an amuzment park!! Ide ask "Gee ya think it was worth it to get that last couple of watts that nobody noticed or would have noticed anyways??"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.