• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply wattage?

When ordering a power supply I know voltage is a factor "12 volt radio requires 12 volt power supply etc." and amperage very important for powering a linear amp that of course if it is a 12 volt mobile amp. Now say you are using a amp that produces 400 watts does the wattage of your power supply a factor in this particular situation such as 400 watt power supply for powering a 400 watt linear. I haven't heard any discussions about wattage and power supplies

When ordering a power supply I know voltage is a factor "12 volt radio requires 12 volt power supply etc."

an automobiles 12 volt system is not really 12 vdc,..... it's closer to 13.8 vdc.

actually, most 12 vdc rigs often use more than 12 volts.

my rig won't produce rated output @ less than 13.8 vdc

Yes this is true 12 volt is a more common name and I have my power supply tuned to 13.8 but I am looking to power my KL-503 "Italy" I am using a switching power supply that is 30 amps seems to be doing the job and handling the task of 480 watts peak but I am not sure. I have tested my KL-503 with a portable jump start that is rated aprx. 600 or more peak amps and my output wattage on the meter dropped 200 watts?? that is confusing unless my portable jump box is giving me false reading and is not putting out the power it use to. I am going to use a car battery that has 1000 cca to test my KL-503 tomorrow and see what I get on the watt meter.

Figure on 12 amps for every 100 watts output of the amp.

300 watt linear = 36 amp power supply.

INOUT ENERGY: 12-30A
INPUT POWER: 1-6W AM/FM - 1-12W SSB/CW
OUTPUT POWER: 60-250W AM/FM - 120-450W SSB/CW

I think the "wattage rating" you are talking about has to do with the draw from the outlet where you plug your power supply in. I have seen this on the tag on the back of power supplys before. I don't think it really has anything to do with the wattage an amplifier can do. Voltage and drive levels are two big factors that control your peak wattage of an amplifier.

Figure on 12 amps for every 100 watts output of the amp.

300 watt linear = 36 amp power supply.

INOUT ENERGY: 12-30A
INPUT POWER: 1-6W AM/FM - 1-12W SSB/CW
OUTPUT POWER: 60-250W AM/FM - 120-450W SSB/CW

Class C maybe. My 100 watt FT-857 requires 25 amps. My older IC-735 required 20 amps for 100 watts.

Power supplies like that used for communications and such other than computer supplies are not rated in watts. They specify a voltage output and how many amps that supply can provide at that voltage such as 13.8 volts at 35 amps or whatever.

I think the "wattage rating" you are talking about has to do with the draw from the outlet where you plug your power supply in. I have seen this on the tag on the back of power supplys before. I don't think it really has anything to do with the wattage an amplifier can do. Voltage and drive levels are two big factors that control your peak wattage of an amplifier.
Yes what comes to mind is hair dryer such as 1500 watt. When you turn a 1500 watt hair dryer on you can see the lights dim so the 1500 watt hair dryer is definitely more powerful so what I am trying to figure out is what does a 400 watt amplifier require and wouldn't your power supply have to produce the wattage needed or is dealing with D.C. a different ball game? When looking up the specs on different power supplies they produce different wattage outputs also, isn't this just as important as amperage and voltage?

Power supplies like that used for communications and such other than computer supplies are not rated in watts. They specify a voltage output and how many amps that supply can provide at that voltage such as 13.8 volts at 35 amps or whatever.
I am maybe understanding this a little better so are you saying amplifiers don't require wattage just voltage and amperage? And switching power supplies are different when it comes to wattage output?

I am maybe understanding this a little better so are you saying amplifiers don't require wattage just voltage and amperage? And switching power supplies are different when it comes to wattage output?

Volts X Amps = Watts
Electricty 101

Power supplies are often rated at voltage and amps.
Watts are relative; but we are talking about 13.8 to 14.4 volts.

No, I am saying that power supplies in general do not state how many watts they are good for except some switching supplies like those used in computers. Except for computers you do not go and ask for a 400 watts power supply or a 600 watt supply. Since the voltage is usually fixed at around 12 or 13.8 volts the ratings is quoted as amps. Watts is a simple product of volts X amps. My Tripplite PR40a power supply is a 13,8 volt supply that provides 40 amps of current. it could also be stated that it will provide 13.8 X 40 or about 550 watts of power however amps are the most usefull way of rating a simple power supply.

No, I am saying that power supplies in general do not state how many watts they are good for except some switching supplies like those used in computers. Except for computers you do not go and ask for a 400 watts power supply or a 600 watt supply. Since the voltage is usually fixed at around 12 or 13.8 volts the ratings is quoted as amps. Watts is a simple product of volts X amps. My Tripplite PR40a power supply is a 13,8 volt supply that provides 40 amps of current. it could also be stated that it will provide 13.8 X 40 or about 550 watts of power however amps are the most usefull way of rating a simple power supply.
Got it this time! Thanks Capt.Killerwatt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated