• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

powerstick 2 ??

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i was told theyre better than a 10-k . anyone ever use one ? know any links with info or pics of them ?

thanks

Maybe you are talking about the old VanOrdt Power-R-Stick??

Fiberglass stick, top loaded, tuneable tip, called a 7/8 wave, rated at 1500watts with 4 wires wrapped like any other fiberglass ant out there. They came in 3.5,4.5,5.5 and 6.5 ft I have ran the 5.5 for several years with great service but after running both the power stick and the 10k I would have to say the 10K is the better ant of the 2 and they don't make the power stick anymore anyway.

that sounds like it Xcalibur but i guess this is a similar design that i was looking at . unless i missunderstood a part of its design that made it better was the top loading coil ass opposed to bottom and mid loaded coils with it being higher would tx and rx better .

i was looking at wilsons 5000 and 5000 trucker . the reg 5000 has a bottom loaded coil and is advertised as "The most powerful base loaded antenna available" . the 5000 trucker has a midcoil design and is advertised as "The most powerful Trucker antenna on the market" .i cant find a comparison of the two together or ratings for one to compare to the other .i was hoping they would give me some idea of the difference in radiating strength given the coil position of two very similar antennas . i know you cant put all your faith in advertising (figgures dont lie but liers can figgure) but wilson does build some nice antennas .

my current 10-k is a 2 coil and after getting it (used $40) i keep reading its not as good as the single coil . ive learned on here that antennas are the biggest difference maker so thats gonna be my next upgrade .

anyhow.........how much difference (all else being equal ) is there in bottom loaded , mid loaded and top loaded mobile antenas .

I run a single coil 27in shaft 10k mounted on my tool box. Tuned to a 1.0swr 50ohms and 1X on the mfj. 2 watts reflected on 10watt slug with 800 out on 1000w slug. The only other ant that I can get to tune as good as the 10k is a al copone, but the stinger is too stiff for my style of limb beating.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Coils introduce losses. One, two, three dozen, it doesn't matter as far as the efficiency of the antenna, they are all lossy. If possible, you are better off not having a coil at all. The key word there is 'possible'. Using a loading coil shortens a sort of long antenna and makes it easier to live with. So, if a shorter antenna is needed, then use one with the ;argest coil that you can. Larger in diameter, less number of turns, makes for a more efficient coil. there are limits, both practical and electrical. A two or three turn coil the size of a 55 gallon drum just isn't all that practical.
Bottom, center, or top loading does make a difference. In most cases, that difference is awful hard to distinguish, just doesn't make ~that~ much difference as far as the radiated signal goes. Top loading isn't as practical as bottom or center loading. And center loading is also harder to do than bottom loading. It's a mechanical thing. On the average, the typical user can't tell a difference between top, center or bottom loading. Mechanically the bottom loaded antenna is just sooo much easier to make and use on a mobile.
Can't stand the thought of not having ~the~ most efficient antenna in the world? Then have at it! Wanna spend next month's food allowance on an antenna? Be my guest! Who knows, you may like newspaper soup? (And that guy down the street with the 'Rat Shack' el'cheapo antenna will still be doing about as well as you do.)
Theres a huge difference between what works well and what looks good. Just depends on what you're after I guess.
- 'Doc

the antenna in question is the V5QF with the numerical designator signifying the physical length of the antenna in feet. it's a 4X3/8 wave (NOT 7/8) top loaded helically wound vertical, the same exact design as the original PowerStik®. when used in applications where the signal radiated from the base of the loading coil would be absorbed and reflected/redirected by surrounding body metal rising above the base of the antenna and inadequate ground plane mass is present in any directions away from the antenna (less than 1/4 wavelength) the PowerStik® more than perceivably outperforms other lower-than-center and base loaded antennas easily by a range factor of 2:1 or more in situations similar to those mentioned above by virtue of the elevated inductive reactance and the multielement design. in tractor rigs where they replaced 10K's they cover a much wider range of frequencies while maintaining a lower swr out to the acceptable edges and cover more distance both to the front and to the rear of the truck, especially when a trailer is in tow.

in addition, we offer the only antenna performance warrantee in the business which states simply: if you don't agree that the VQF hears and talks farther than the antenna you used previously (single or dual) we will re-install and tune your old antenna and refund the full cost of the VQF on the spot, no questions asked. that hasn't happened once in the 18 years that we have carried them.

yes, they are still manufactured.

4 x 3/8 wave = 1.5 wave. I would think that it should do okay. As far as the radiation from the bottom of the coil and being absorbed by the surroundings thingy... horse-hockey.
- 'Doc

not 1.5. 4 3/8 wave elements fed in phase does not make the antenna 1.5. you don't know what you're talking about. if it was electrically 1.5 wavelengths long and end fed the input impedance would be astronomical and some type of low to high impedance matching device would be required to operate with direct 50 ohm feed.

"As far as the radiation from the bottom of the coil and being absorbed by the surroundings thingy... horse-hockey."

the pont at which the shaft terminates into the bottom of the inductor represents the total collapse of the near electric field and the resulting generation of the far magnetic field responsible for long range communications. if upon the collapse of the electric field the resulting magnetic field is interrupted or impeded by any nearby metal mass at the lower radiation angles then the magnetic far field does not materialize in that direction.

as in the case of the front wall of a trailer behind a tractor rig for instance, this is how it plays out: if the bottom of the loading coil is not high enough in the air to facilitate the transfer of magnetic field radiation at angles of plus or minus 15 degrees above the horizontal then the energy is to some small degree absorbed while leaving the majority of the energy to be re-reflected from the front face of the trailer at the same angle at which it arrives. the magnetic field is prevented from radiating rearwards and it does not mirror itself in the trailers roof top area because of the re-direction of the field from rear to front. you can't talk or hear to the rear of the trailer. if we use a top loaded antenna that allows this transition from electric near field to magnetic far field to occur at a point higher up the antenna and thereby allowing the magnetic far field to be generated unimpeded, the antenna sees a much farther horizon by virtue of the fact that it is now able to mirror itself in the trailers roof top. just one example and yes, typical, non technical savvy users have had absolutely no problem recognizing the difference in performance.

not 1.5. 4 3/8 wave elements fed in phase does not make the antenna 1.5. you don't know what you're talking about. if it was electrically 1.5 wavelengths long and end fed the input impedance would be astronomical and some type of low to high impedance matching device would be required to operate with direct 50 ohm feed.

"As far as the radiation from the bottom of the coil and being absorbed by the surroundings thingy... horse-hockey."

the pont at which the shaft terminates into the bottom of the inductor represents the total collapse of the near electric field and the resulting generation of the far magnetic field responsible for long range communications. if upon the collapse of the electric field the resulting magnetic field is interrupted or impeded by any nearby metal mass at the lower radiation angles then the magnetic far field does not materialize in that direction.

as in the case of the front wall of a trailer behind a tractor rig for instance, this is how it plays out: if the bottom of the loading coil is not high enough in the air to facilitate the transfer of magnetic field radiation at angles of plus or minus 15 degrees above the horizontal then the energy is to some small degree absorbed while leaving the majority of the energy to be re-reflected from the front face of the trailer at the same angle at which it arrives. the magnetic field is prevented from radiating rearwards and it does not mirror itself in the trailers roof top area because of the re-direction of the field from rear to front. you can't talk or hear to the rear of the trailer. if we use a top loaded antenna that allows this transition from electric near field to magnetic far field to occur at a point higher up the antenna and thereby allowing the magnetic far field to be generated unimpeded, the antenna sees a much farther horizon by virtue of the fact that it is now able to mirror itself in the trailers roof top. just one example and yes, typical, non technical savvy users have had absolutely no problem recognizing the difference in performance.
So anybody know how to get ahold of this guy. I’m running these antennas and he seems vary knowledgeable about them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.