• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pre Finals

M

muddywaters1

Which pre final drives the 2SC1969 better? The (1957) or the (2314)? I'm using the 2314 in my Cobra 29LTD Classic with the 1969 final, would the 1957 drive it better?

</p>

The 2314 actually seems to work better in the 29 ltds than the 1957 does from my personal "peak & tweak" experiences with the cobra 29 ltds. It really helps the newer maxon chassis versions of this radio where the standard swing mods burn out the original final and driver in short notice.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/uflatlandradio.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Flatland Radio</A> at: 8/9/02 11:40:59 am

W5LZ Ive done quite a few of the "swing mods" on many of the various models of the cobra 29s .The 29 ltds that were made by Uniden were far superior to the 29 ltds that are now made by Maxon.The Uniden made radios had thicker foil on the boards and better quality semiconductors on the boards.

Open up a new 29 ltd and compare it to an older Uniden built Phillipine made model and the differences are very easy to see.1/2 watt resistors in the old models compared to the 1/4 watt in the new ones and they actually used 1/6th watt resistors for a while when Maxon first started making them.

The 2sc2029 finals that are in the newer models cant take much more than the standard alignment that the factory sends it out the door with and as we all know people modify the the heck out of cb radios(for better or worse and admittedly its quite often for the worse).

If one is going to do the swing mods on the new models several changes need to be made including driver and final changes and resistor changes or the most likely result will be failure of parts. I really dont recommend that anyone should buy a new cobra 29ltd classic as they are not the radios they once were.The radio I recommend is a Uniden pc68xl or a pc78xl these radios are far superior in quality than the Cobra products that are being marketed today.Cobra built their reputation in the 70s and 80s by making great radios that you could be proud of. Now its just a marketing name and quality got put on the back shelf behind profits.

Are the swing mods a good idea?Well not necessarily but its what the AM radio crowd demands.Its sort of like the old mod limiter clipping deal.Is it a good idea? NO but if you dont do it the guy will take it to someone who will or do it himself.Thats the sound a lot of people like and a lot of folks dont give a damn if their radios bleed 5+ channels both directions.

I believe in giving the customer what they want and when its $ in my pocket I give them what they want.

As always these are just my opinions........

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.