• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10k competition any good?

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
Looking for opinions on the predator 10k competition series compared to the original predator 10k. Better? Worse? Why? The only difference i can see from pictures is the competition ones have an extra 2 windings in the coil and the center delrin is thicker. Which actually would increase coil loss and decrease efficiency as well as total antenna height. No good. Opinions? Actual users of the antenna would be helpful.

I have ran "ALL" of Kales Predator antennas...everything from the original single coil, to the dual-coil, bad to the bone, comp, 30K, and different shaft lengths from the 6" to the 27"....and in my humble opinion which together with a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee..."You can't beat the original single-coil Predator 10K..."

"Hight is Might" ...more turns in the coil means shorter antenna...

I have a Monkey Made "Big John", a 55, a Lightning Golden Rod, and at least a dozen Predators, but what is on my truck is the Single Coil Predator 10K...

Haven't tried his newest contraption, the "Little Sweetie"...have herd it is the best of the bunch, which "may-be" true since the thing tunes taller than any of the other 10K's. It has tighter wound turns in the coils, and from what I was told, it causes the antenna to tune almost a foot taller than the original single-coil 10K....

Kales a good friend of mine for the last 20-25 years, and he keeps me in good supply of antennas to try out.:D
kqtNTcj.jpg

i4tuDhO.jpg

I have ran "ALL" of Kales Predator antennas...everything from the original single coil, to the dual-coil, bad to the bone, comp, 30K, and different shaft lengths from the 6" to the 27"....and in my humble opinion which together with a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee..."You can't beat the original single-coil Predator 10K..."

"Hight is Might" ...more turns in the coil means shorter antenna...

I have a Monkey Made "Big John", a 55, a Lightning Golden Rod, and at least a dozen Predators, but what is on my truck is the Single Coil Predator 10K...

Haven't tried his newest contraption, the "Little Sweetie"...have herd it is the best of the bunch, which "may-be" true since the thing tunes taller than any of the other 10K's. It has tighter wound turns in the coils, and from what I was told, it causes the antenna to tune almost a foot taller than the original single-coil 10K....

Kales a good friend of mine for the last 20-25 years, and he keeps me in good supply of antennas to try out.:D
kqtNTcj.jpg

i4tuDhO.jpg

Now that I’ve learned the sound of your voice (and am east of downtown Dallas weekly to get re-loaded), I’ve wondered what rig you were on, mobile or base.

I wouldn’t swear it was automatically a base I hear in the later afternoon.

Some others have pretty good mobiles.That Predator just might be one of them. What I hear is loud and clear.

Agreed, if I was still in 11 meters I would run nothing but a 108" whip. Anytime you put a coil in the antenna you lessen its performance compared to a straight whip.
I'm not certain this is true. I had to choose 10 or 11m with my whip, but I could do both with a monkey made that wasn't much shorter. Giving up a little gain for a lot of bandwidth could easily be considered higher performance depending on your objective.

Now that I’ve learned the sound of your voice (and am east of downtown Dallas weekly to get re-loaded), I’ve wondered what rig you were on, mobile or base.

I wouldn’t swear it was automatically a base I hear in the later afternoon.

Some others have pretty good mobiles.That Predator just might be one of them. What I hear is loud and clear.

I also ran the single coil with the 27" shaft for around 10 yrs on the roof of a F-150. I was using it with a Mr. Coily mt. thru the roof.

No complaints on how it worked across the Pacific & Atlantic.

In fact if anyone would like it - it's for sale, here's the pic of it.

DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0007.JPG

Sorry it is a 22" shaft instead of a 27"........my bad!

Last edited:
New-Tronics Antenna Home Page

From their beginning in Cleveland, Ohio, Hustler Antennas have been produced in the U.S.A. for over 40 years. Since 1985 Hustler Antennas have been manufactured and marketed by New-Tronics Antenna Corporation in Mineral Wells, Texas, on the western edge of the Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex.

CBCatalog2007.pdf (new-tronics.com)

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated