• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Predator 10K SW... Opinions?

AndrewGS

Sandbagger
Dec 20, 2008
Houston
myspace.com
I think I made a mistake buying a big whip and sticking it on the bed rail. My ground plane is insufficient and this morning my corona ball got ripped off in a drive-thru. It’s just too big and finicky.

So, I’m looking at the Predator 10K SW with the 12” shaft with a total length of about 4-1/2 foot. I think this antenna would be more stable impedance-wise going down the road and less sensitive to my less-than-stellar ground plane.

Anyone here got some experience with this antenna?

99DB237B-1C0D-4E20-97BF-772A27F16F31.jpeg

I ran one for years on a freightliner on the mirror. It worked well for me. It took lots of abuse from tree limbs and other objects. A big limb broke my bracket off in a consruction zone and i couldn't o back to get it.
I think getting the coil right at your roof is key to getting the best performance with a predator type antenna. On my pickup I run a 5' firestik ii mounted on the back of my toolbox and have made sideband contacts to base stations as far away as 60 miles and even about 75 miles on AM to a guy with an antenna 100' high. The nice thing about the predators is you can easily change out the shaft lengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewGS
From my understanding that location is one of the worst for a good groundplane. I believe you would have better results with the predator mounted behind the cab.

Right behind the cab on the bed rail is actually the worst place to put such an antenna, and the more separation between the antenna and the cab, at least to a point, the better. The presence of the cab affects both the antenna's tuning and performance. I'm not saying that you can't make an antenna work ok in such a location, but it will never work as well as it could.

If you have trouble tuning an antenna mounted at either the front or rear corner of the bed, moving the antenna towards the middle of the bed rail will almost always help, and it doesn't generally take a large amount of moving said antenna to get this effect. With some antennas you can literally tune them simply by moving where they are connected to the bed rail, forward and backwards on the truck.

If you are looking to steer gain in one direction, from experimenting with my field strength meter I can tell you that peak gain in general will be to the far corner of the bed from where the antenna is mounted, so if you want peak gain to the front of the truck then you want to mount the antenna to the back of the bed, and vice versa. Modeling agrees with this, and according to modeling, with most pick up trucks, as far as gain is concerned, the cab is actually mostly invisible, having only a small effect on overall gain. This is from a model that separates the cab and bed, and only connects the two through the frame (you know, how most pickup trucks have been built for decades). If you want the best omnidirectional performance, the best location is, no surprise here, the center of the roof of the cab...

The DB

Reactions: 357magnum
Ok. Good to know. Not to hijack the op, but does the same hold true for a top loaded antenna?

Since I’ve been having issues with the ground plane under my big whip I decided to try out my Hustler HQ27B on the analyzer. I got it to tune up well but it’s narrowbanded. Also, the weakness in my ground plane is still obvious because as soon as I backed out of the driveway my SWR went up .2:1 and my impedance got wacky. I guess no matter what I do antenna-wise I will need to redo my bonding of the bed to the frame.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.