• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K vs. Mr.Coily results

'Fat' coils and 'skinny' coils.

The diameter makes a difference in the efficiency of the coil, and it's total inductance. In general, a fat coil (larger diameter) can be 'better' than a skinny coil of the same inductance. After a certain point there's not a lot of point in a larger diameter coil. That's from the practical standpoint. It's easier to support a coil thats smaller in diameter than one that's larger in diameter. Larger diameter coils require stronger supports, usually mean more wind resistance, and the 'gain' in efficiency is almost un-hearable. So it's sort of a "what's it worth to you" kinda thing, rather than really a big difference in signal.The difference isn't a bucket of silver dollars versus a cup of pennies. Uh... unless you're talking about paying for the difference in size, which isn't what I'm talking about. (It's late, been a long day, and I'm sleepy. If none of that made any sense, don't worry about it.)
- 'Doc

Well Doc, and 10k223, thanks for clearing that up. I especially appreciated the comments about mounting the antenna, and support strength, because in a real world I'd like to deal with as less antenna windloading as possible. :)

Logan. Probably the biggest differace you can find, between a quot: "Skinny coil antenna" and a "Fat coil antenna" is going to be the weight...The flat-coil type will weigh more than the round coil type, in most case's. So You better make sure your mount is going to be strong snough to handle it. But any antenna you mount to the roof, need's to have a good mount anyway, just to keep from flopping around up there anyway.

I have tryed most of the big-coil antennas on my Burb...But I always keep comeing back to my Predator. Last antenna I bought that wasnt a 10K, was Dan's Mr.Coily.(Dual Coil)

And that antenna was the close's antenna I have used, that could compeat with the 10K...However it does have a few thing's that I personaly did'nt like.

1. was the fact that sence it's all welded together in one peice, you cant change anything around, like you can with the 10K. Like changeing shaft lingths just by unscrewing it, and putting a different lingth one on. You have to buy a different antenna all together.

2. I think Kale's stinger's are the right size...Monkey's are too thick, and dont "give" as much when you hit something. And Mr.Coily's are to skinny, and you can bend the tip easy'er when you hit something.(done did that. :( )

Other than that, both perform about the same. And just seeing one on the roof of a truck, from a disstance, they both look the same. (unless you know what your looking for)

And like Kale said. He and Dan both are always looking for ways to improve their antenna's...They just dont get one design and leave it there...they continue to look for improvement's...Have'nt seen very many other company's doing that lately...And I think Wilson need's too.

Big Coil Antennas

Jesse James,

Dan also makes a thicker stinger for his dx line. You just need to ask for it when you order the antenna. It can't be used if you order the regular stinger unless one has the hole in the top bored out. Ben

Jesse James Dallas, Thank you for being so honest about all 3 of the antennas mentioned that you have tried. Now that's what I call, putting it in perspective :D . I didn't know that the coily, or monkey- made didn't make interchangable shafts? :shock: . Most people adjust the SWR of antenna by experimenting with different coax lengths, or adjusting the stinger or shaft lengths. Even the wilson 2000/5000 trucker series antennas have different shafts to play with :p . I'd be pissed off :x , if I bought a big coil antenna :evil: :twisted: and then have to buy another one because of bad SWRs across all 40 cb channels. Thanks for the info guys :) :D .
As the saying goes, it must be a 10k world :idea: .

cbshack, yep I know Dan was working on that. And It would be no-big-deal to drill-out the stinger hole some,to use a wider one...Just looking at the antenna the way it would come,if I went down the the local corner store to buy it....Same with the other's....

Way I like to compare antennas, or anything else. Is buy one the same way everyone else would. "Stock" Not "special- order...If dan would go ahead and change stinger's to one that's just a little thicker...It would be a improvment. But, not a stinger like MM use's...that thing's "TOO" thick! (IMO)

By the way Logan....The Only Antenna I know of, that can be taken apart, and reasimbled and mix-and-match part's. Is the Predator 10K....(jogunn's maybe can, but there junk anyway, so I dont count them:D)

sorta like a "tinker-toy".......But make no misstake about it...The Predator 10K is no Tinker-Toy!;)
10kworld0nu.jpg

Big Coil Antennas

Thanks Jesse James Dallas for the good information. You bring up some good points. I sell Predators and Monkeys at the store. The drivers and hobbyists like them both. Ben

I haven't had the pleasure to run a 10k yet but I do run only Mr. Coily antennas and they flat work and get the job done. Also Dan caters to each persons needs best he can, and I would bet if you wanted one of his antennas that wasn't welded he would do it. One of these days I'll get my hands on a 10k and due some tests, but as far as I can tell at this point they are both top quality antennas with graet builders. You can't go wrong either way.

Your right Highroller. Both antennas for the most part, talk and recive the same. Just a few different readings on the mfj. But not enough that anyone would ever notice. Both look about the same. Only way to tell the two apart just by looking at them, would be to lay the two "side-by-side" and compare.

Nothing wrong with the Mr.Coily, and if I had never owned a 10K, I would only run the Coily. (but with the thicker stinger!)

And like Dan, Kale will also cater to special order's. Just may take him some extra time for special order's, sence he's been real buissy just trying to keep up with the demand for the stock versions!

I have used a bunch of antenna over 30 years of driving and operating a CB. The 10K has been the best. I hear real well and seem to be heard too. Tunes like no other I have tried. Sounds like the Coily works well to. I have no problem getting R 50 and X 0 on both my big rig set up and SUV. I use 20 in. shank for the dual coil and 22 in. for the mag mounted top loaded 10K. I consider Kale to be a friend and one helluva a nice man.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.