• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Prefabbed coax with removable pl259's...

trailboss

Apr 25, 2005
Gilbert, Az.
Is this product any good?

Procomm 18' Coax Cable w. Removeable PL259 188XN13 at WalcottCB.com

I am gong to install my radio in a Mack tractor, and would like to be able to route the wires cleanly without having to solder on Pl259's, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this setup.

Also, since I will be bolting the mount on a horizontal piece of grounded angle iron on the back of the upright exhaust supports, only the tip of the 102" antenna will protrude slightly above the tractor faring, it will be pretty well protected from any trees and obstacles.

I am planning on using typical aluminum west coast mirror mount cb antenna brackets;
RVUHFH.jpg

and figure that if I see the antenna whipping around I can tether the upper section with a standoff of sorts....an insulated loop.

I would like to avoid using a spring, as I have seen swr issues with springs as they aged in the past.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Many years ago in an act of laziness I purchased some similar coax. Was pleasantly surprised, it worked well and as far as I know is still in use.

Not saying it's the best but I've seen it work well.

If you plan on securing the upper end of the 102'' whip then this is all you need to mount to the rear of the truck and later to the mirror mount with a smaller antenna.

standard.jpg

id just use lugs at the antenna mount if the 259 is too big for routing like you want to do it . run the coax then put the rings on at the antenna stud/mount .

"Also, since I will be bolting the mount on a horizontal piece of grounded angle iron on the back of the upright exhaust supports, only the tip of the 102" antenna will protrude slightly above the tractor faring, it will be pretty well protected from any trees and obstacles."

the rig is gonna block your signal and you may play heck with trying to tune with the reflect from them . the tip of your 102 will be the only thing in the clear to radiate . not to mention flopping back and forth causing a short when touching the exhaust or metal on the rig .

a dual or single coil 10k on the "headache rack" would be my choice . but you work for that money so spend it how you see fit ;)

I have been running that style mount modified as a toolbox mount on the right rear corner of my Toyota toolbox for about 1 year now I guess and it worked out well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I currently own a Wilson 1k, and a 5k, figured that I would try something different antenna wise...I will be running a galaxy 44 and possibly a Palomar 25 that I have in mothballs...will I see appreciable performance if I went with a predator 10k?

Not saying it's the best but I've seen it work well.

"Buy once, cry once" is a motto I generally live by, so I would rather go with a superior cable since I am in the "valley of the sun" where the heat and sun are pretty relentless.
If there is a better option, I'm all ears.

Also I was under the impression that having the tip above the trailer I was "good to go", as far as tx and rx goes, but if more of the shaft was higher should I do so?
Of course being compliant with height requirements...

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I currently own a Wilson 1k, and a 5k, figured that I would try something different antenna wise...I will be running a galaxy 44 and possibly a Palomar 25 that I have in mothballs...will I see appreciable performance if I went with a predator 10k?

"Buy once, cry once" is a motto I generally live by, so I would rather go with a superior cable since I am in the "valley of the sun" where the heat and sun are pretty relentless.
If there is a better option, I'm all ears.

Also I was under the impression that having the tip above the trailer I was "good to go", as far as tx and rx goes, but if more of the shaft was higher should I do so?
Of course being compliant with height requirements...
The more antenna you have above any metallic obstruction the better and with the 102'' whip you're gonna see a high swr mounted in the manner you suggest in your first post.

You may want to have at least 2/3rds of the 102 above the roof line to avoid the swr issue.

As for the 1k and 5k I'm assuming they are magnet mounts and the mount you posted a picture of may not be the best for those antennas counterpoise requirement.

You could use the predator 10-k in the mounting scenario you're talking about as long as you keep it's coil section/sections above the roof line avoiding the same mentioned swr issues than being said if you have a steel roof that you can mount those magnet mount wilsons on you'd probably not see any appreciable differences between them of the 10-k.

Thanks Mac,
you clarified some fuzzy misconceptions that I had!

My Wilson 5k. is a roof mount, my 1k is a mirror mount with a shaft extension that would put the base of the coil at the roofline if I were to mount it on the mirror. I was trying to get away from that, as the desert trees are pretty nasty adversaries for anything man made, and The center lanes of many thoroughfares have untrimmed Mesqute trees.

Hmmmm...maybe a 102 isn't in my best interest, as having even a a third of it above the trailer would be waaaay above the legal height for commercial vehicles...overpasses and powerlines...no thanks....or what the heck..it worked on "back to the future"!

So..maybe the 1k wilson would be the best way to go for my situation....

I can always use the 102 on my Pontiac vibe and look like an Arka-billy!

Thanks Mac,
you clarified some fuzzy misconceptions that I had!

My Wilson 5k. is a roof mount, my 1k is a mirror mount with a shaft extension that would put the base of the coil at the roofline if I were to mount it on the mirror. I was trying to get away from that, as the desert trees are pretty nasty adversaries for anything man made, and The center lanes of many thoroughfares have untrimmed Mesqute trees.

Hmmmm...maybe a 102 isn't in my best interest, as having even a a third of it above the trailer would be waaaay above the legal height for commercial vehicles...overpasses and powerlines...no thanks....or what the heck..it worked on "back to the future"!

So..maybe the 1k wilson would be the best way to go for my situation....

I can always use the 102 on my Pontiac vibe and look like an Arka-billy!

only if you put her in the middle of the roof.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.