• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant (92?) inside mic wiring help.

Grant Jackson

Oct 31, 2015
Greetings good people.

So I got hold of this old Grant with some hack-jobs done to it,and I found out it transmits 10w am/fm,but got nothing out on ssb. This was bad until I realized that I should try an original president four pin mike to make sure it modulates. After connecting an original mike and turned on it transmit all the time (and still no reaction to my speech),so this got my focus on the mic-wiring inside of the radio.

As you can see on the picture of the mic-connector "unit" it has a share of hack-jobs on C 502 and C 503.
C 502 was cut,I soldered that back,but C 503 is not there at all. One question I have for the experts is what the cause of the hacks might have been,and should I fix them,or could I just as well connect the wiring to the correct pins? What is the value for the missing C 503?

In the Grant there is a black (common ground),and orange and a red wire connected to this tiny pcb with the connector. Not at all correct wired if I compare it to my Jackson,and the results I got from testing.

I would be very thankful for any help.
IMAG0165.jpg

Last edited:

A little update to this project:
I did connect it directly to the pins and it now works as it should it seems like.
While it works,I would still love to know exactly what those "missing" parts was suppose to do. I only connected Black to pin 1,orange to pin 2 and red to pin 3 and got modulation on ssb,and got read reports on AM / FM ,so mike now works at least.

What desk mike would people choose with the Pres. Grant Am/FM-SSB Transciever?

Will update more tomorrow.

G.J

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.