• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln 2+ off frequency? Here is why and how to fix (without the engineering menu)

Wiat 291

Jun 17, 2022
President Lincoln 2+ Transmit off frequency?

I've discovered a cause and fix for the L2+ going off frequency on transmit.

When I got this radio a year ago I was told that I was spot on frequency. I read every thread in this forum regarding the L2+ and one was about unlocking the clarifier. I unlocked the clarifier and chased a bunch of off frequency transmitters. Eventually I returned the clarifier to receive only and never thought about it again. Shortly thereafter I was being told I was way off frequency. I verified that I was in fact -133hz off with my SDR. My short term fix was to adjust the VFO -100hz but this wasn't a satisfactory fix.

There is a guy on Youtube that had an off frequency L2+ he got used. He was upset that President could let a radio this bad out the door. On another thread here there was discussion about the non + L2's having a locked clarifier and the apparent reticence of president to offer an unlocked clarifier. President relented and offered the PL2+ with switchable clarifiers. Now there are a bunch of PL2+s off frequency, mine included. These things keep me up at night and after rolling the issue over in my head, the actual cause occurred to me.

If you chase off frequency transmitters with the clarifier unlocked and return to locked the frequency offset is remembered and applied the next time you transmit!

No wonder President was reluctant to offer unlockable clarifiers on the early Lincoln 2's.

To remedy this situation you do not need to engage the dreaded engineering menu. Simply unlock your clarifier one last time and have somebody listen to your transmitter to help you adjust your clarifier back to an acceptable frequency. Return the clarifier to receive only or off and leave that clarifier menu alone.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.