• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Madison 858 PLL

orbieswar

Apr 5, 2014
NSW Australia
HI all I am after a parts list for the original PRESIDENT MADISON with the 858 PLL.
or can anyone verify the part number or chassis number for the 40 channel selector.
I think its PC-208AA can anyone confirm ?
Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• 20140607_193435B.jpg
    20140607_193435B.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

according to my sam's photo, the part number for the channel selector (s408) is 3000-105 and for the board it says part number 3500-022 and the notes section for the board says channel selector switch (pc-259aa).

since that didn't jibe with your pic, I took my own pic of my pres madison.
sorry the second one is blurry, but it does look quite different than yours. maybe you have the second version?

Attachments

• DSCN6025.JPG
    DSCN6025.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN6026.JPG
    DSCN6026.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Thankyou

Thanks Cowboy.. I appreciate the trouble you have gone through for me.
Looks like I have been had again.
I have a near mint 858 Madison, She works and looks perfect. The trouble is here in Australia these babies were mostly 23 channel units..(leftover US stock), Some were even 18 channels like mine.
I have been trying to source a 40 switch for her, as I refuse to hack her up.
Sadly scammers have sold me crap.. This guy assured me the switch was out of a 858 Madison. I went to the trouble of fitting it up and was happy to see 40 light up. However the frequency counter said No... Checked and rechecked my work, All ok. So I checked the coding, and sure enough it was way off the mark. Thinking back this guy was also selling Dwight D parts as well.
Bet he sold me a Dwight D switch and called me sucker.

just a 40 channel switch will not give you the 40 channels in the radio. takes a lot more to get the radio to do all 40 channels. there is a radio shop in Australia that can make the radio do what ever you want it to do. not sure where it is located at but the name is Lbcomms. Sue is one of the owners and is on cbtricks.com. she could get you working if you are in Australia.

So what is it ?

So ok its not a Maddy switch.
And yes I do realise that the radio may need a tune after fitting the correct switch.
Can anyone tell me what it is out of ?
If it can be identified I will try to sell it to make some of my money back.
Thank you

Hiya mate! Can you take a couple other pictures of the switch you have? I might be able to help ID that switch you have. I'm thinking it may possibly be out of a mobile radio of some sort, but I'd need another snapshot or two to confirm. Thanks!

~Cheers~

Is it 858 SSB ?

Thanks E13... The more I look at the more I am thinking mobile.
If its 858 SSB I will have no trouble selling it.
I should have known it was not for a maddy when it did not have the extra lamps underneath the display. Maybe its a GRANT ? I don't think its COBRA as the display is offset to the rotary control.

Attachments

• 20140607_19324b1.jpg
    20140607_19324b1.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20140607_193317b.jpg
    20140607_193317b.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 9
  • 20140607_193435B.jpg
    20140607_193435B.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20140607_193507b.jpg
    20140607_193507b.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 9
I found a channel selector on ebay for a dwight d and that has different numbers (TJE-??SV-1) and look than yours does, so I don't think that's what you've got.

I wasn't aware there were 23 channel madisons ever made, so I'd think yours wouldn't be leftover American stock, probably made for Australian sale only.
either way, I'd be interested in seeing a pic or two.

Unknown Switch

Thanks Cowboy.. You are correct its not out of a Dwight D.
I would say its out of a mobile or other non President Branded radio.
The give away is the lack of extra lights under the display.
Could it be a Grant or Robyn ? hmm
In Early days of CB here in Australia before legalization, all CB`s were 23 chan. Including all new PLL style radios. Both President (858)(861)and Cybernet based radios were all 23 chan units. Very very few leaked in with 40.
At the time we were waiting for legalization and we ended up with 18 channels. Also at this time UNIDEN 8719 PLL radios were starting to show with 18 chan switches fitted...There were even some 18 channel 858 radios !!
I had a 858 Grant once it had a 40 switch but when you went to 24 it blacked out and the radio would not tx or rx until it was rotated back to 1 or 23. It had a extra PCB added inline with the chan switch. Removal of this board and all was good for 40. But it has been the only one I have ever seen.
Rest assure this is a normal Madison 858 for Australia.. Just has a 23 switch.
When she is back together I will post pics.

Thanks for the pics! It's out of a President Grant. Like the Washington, the selector in the Madison will have 3 LED indicators for your modes. Use this as a guide when locating another selector. If I had one, I'd ship it to you, but parts D858 SSB radios are scarce, people like to save those old radios as much as possible.

Hope this helps! :)

~Cheers~

Thanks E13

Thank you E13... Your the man !!
So the switch itself should be the same.. HMMMM
I will look at the orientation of the tracks... I should be able to remove my 23 switch and drop the GRANT switch into my ribbon and PCB.
Previously for a go/no go I just wired the whole assy in to see if it would work.

Again thank you to all (y)

If you wire in the ribbon one way and it doesn't work, turn it around and wire it in the other way. Technically, it should still work if it's out of a D858 President Grant.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.