• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley testing

Mic sits high enough I change channels super easy. Unit sits well just under cig/power plugs.

Still need to shorten power leads on both, maybe mount amp up under as well. Amp was under seat edge, but I have leaky windshield near top edge and it was dripping onto it.. :/

Overall good contacts thus far with it.

View attachment 21572
The ALC over clips even when turned up average talk power is low. In a whistle or tone it is acceptable. This is the same problem Icoms have had.
Hopefully someone will come up with a fix.

Turned on the radio this morning to see if there was any DX and after a couple of seconds the radio flipped to weather station channel 7 on its own and started receiving an alert (it was a test of the emergency broadcast system). Was great to see that with the "alert" function enabled the radio is working properly and automatically flips to the alert. Note - it's doesn't flip back to CB mode automatically after the alert is over which would make sense in an emergency as more alerts would be coming most likely.

Reactions: NZ8N
The display and functions are controlled by software. Unless the software was designed to recognize the changes if those resistors were removed it's doubtful they have anything to do with extra frequencies (aka removing the resistors on a general lee to open up 11 meters etc).

https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/doc/products/mpumcu/doc/rl78/r01ds0192ej0220-rl78l1c.pdf
According to the spec sheet for the CPU on page 10, and assuming it is the 100 pin Non-USB version of the CPU, those 4 pins (92-95) are to I/O Port 8. If the port is an input port, the voltage on each of these pins should be 0v.
They "may" have assigned this port as the Band input to their firmware to select what frequency band to use for different countries to fit other radio versions (UK? Poland? New Zealand?) rather than reprogramming the CPU for each country.

Or, maybe not.

Best modern American market mobile CB I've ever had. The Roger beep glitch does suck. I called President, and they shamefully knew nothing about it. The person who finally fixes it should cash in on it! Anybody? We've got some big wig techs here on the forum..... Come on. Show us what you've got!

President sent me a demo unit to test out -

It's a solid little SSB radio, similar to the Uniden 980 in features however I actually like the layout better on this radio. The variable power is nice and on AM low will do 1 watt swinging 10 watts which is perfect for matching up with a KL203. SSB is about 12-15. I saw a bells video where it showed over 25W AM but I didn't see numbers like that. As Mike mentioned in his video review the roger beep doesn't work - I talked with President and there is no immediate fix for that but they are working on the issue. Talkback is ok - definitely not as good as a separate talk back board.

Uniden 980 didn't fit in my dash as a DIN size radio - this one actually fit properly and the front firing speaker works great when dash mounted.

Made lots of west coast contacts so far - good reports - with stock mike it has clear audio but not overpowering. Frequency stability is great so far, no issues. Receiver is good and the speaker does a good job, nice sound.

At $199, price is a bit high but they are offering that $50 rebate. After testing both the 980 and McKinley at this point I'd be leaning towards the McKinley as my daily radio if I had to choose between the two. We'll see how it holds up with more testing over the next couple of months.

I preferred this over the 980. I found the display easier to see while driving during daylight hours, and while it may have just been my radio, the McKinley was better quashing engine noise.

Update. Apparently the Uniden 980, Mckinley, and Lincoln II all share the same 6pin Mic pinout.

I have a Astatic 636l that I wired for my Lincoln II v3. Going to try this morning..

I ran into the McKinley having a different voltage on pin 6 than the 980 (11 vs. 8 volts). I checked the voltage because I was just using the McKinley microphone to test both rigs but the hand mic for the McKinley would not produce audio on the Uniden.

Reactions: Mudfoot
I preferred this over the 980. I found the display easier to see while driving during daylight hours, and while it may have just been my radio, the McKinley was better quashing engine noise.

I figure the jump in quality worth it. It’s on my short list.

But this week I can buy TWO Uniden 980s off Amazon for the price of a single McKinley.

And both need the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker to do a noise clean-up (as do all CB/10-meter).

Reactions: Woody-202
I figure the jump in quality worth it. It’s on my short list.

But this week I can buy TWO Uniden 980s off Amazon for the price of a single McKinley.

And both need the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker to do a noise clean-up (as do all CB/10-meter).

Agreed. I got mine used for under $100. Never would have bought one new, although they are getting warmer if they're offering a decent rebate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.