• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Richard Export (Cobra 148GTL DX) - need a tuning can

Big Kahuna

Jul 31, 2008
Was doing an alignment and had a weird thing happen. First time I’ve ever experienced this. Put my plastic tuning tool in the notch to adjust and the top bit of the inside plastic slug just fell apart. I was gentle as always but first time I’ve ever had that happen after 30 years of messing with radios. Guessing I’ll need to replace the tuning can. Anyone got a spare or replacement suggestion? L26.

Rest of the alignment went fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enterprise312ok

What PCB number is that radio?
I see PB 010 for cobra148-gtl-dx( late production) Richard, 360fm.
Kens electronics has a lot of coils listed, digging through them for the correct part number is a challenge.
I will go see if there is a part number associated with L-26 on the schematic.

Jeff

I am confused, the service manual I have shows L 22,23,24,25,26, and 27 adjust the loop mixer ( 16 MHz vco ) offsets.
But that is for the PC 999 President Grant export.
Have to see what board you have.
Jeff

What PCB number is that radio?
I see PB 010 for cobra148-gtl-dx( late production) Richard, 360fm.
Kens electronics has a lot of coils listed, digging through them for the correct part number is a challenge.
I will go see if there is a part number associated with L-26 on the schematic.

Jeff
Yeah it's the PB 010 and the coil is L37 - but I saw it referenced on one DX alignment as L26 and elsewhere as L37. I thought maybe the L26 was the last 148 DX model but that the part would be the same. No service manual for the Richard as far as I can tell so was having to guess based on the Cobra 148 DX ones.

Picture is worth a thousand words :) Tough to tell in the image as L37 looks like the others but I cleaned out the pieces that fell apart and there's nothing left inside to put a tuning tool into. The other coils were fine so not sure what was up with that one. It almost came apart like beeswax even though it wasn't.

Many thanks for the help.

President-Richard-Export-AM-FM-SSB-PC-010-AC.jpg

Last edited:
if it just broke the top bit of the ferrite off, you should be able to unsolder the can and remove it from the PC board.
then access the slug from the bottom, unscrew it from the can, turn it over, and screw it back in.

the missing ferrite shouldn't change things that much and the can should still peak as normal.
LC

Yeah it's the PB 010 and the coil is L37 - but I saw it referenced on one DX alignment as L26 and elsewhere as L37. I thought maybe the L26 was the last 148 DX model but that the part would be the same. No service manual for the Richard as far as I can tell so was having to guess based on the Cobra 148 DX ones.

Picture is worth a thousand words :) Tough to tell in the image as L37 looks like the others but I cleaned out the pieces that fell apart and there's nothing left inside to put a tuning tool into. The other coils were fine so not sure what was up with that one. It almost came apart like beeswax even though it wasn't.

Many thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Service Manual RICHARD.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
After looking at the photo close-up I spotted at least 3 other core tops that are cracked. That typically happens when too much force is used or from an improper sized tool.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated