• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president washington 858 no receiver audio

Zman

K9FON
Nov 26, 2009
It transmits on SSB and it does receive but it has no transmit audio output on AM and no audio output on receive.

With No AM TX audio and no AM/SSB receive audio I would start with the audio IC (UPC1156H). If you have an O-Scope check at pin 4 to be sure you have an input signal, if you do check at pin 10 that is the output. If you don't have a scope it would still be the most likely part, so if you can find one, replace it.

Jim

Nope i dont have a scope. I swapped it with one that i know works out of another radio and the audio IC seems ok...

Do you have any kind of hiss from the speaker at all? When you key up can you hear a click from the speaker itself? This one will make you cringe, take a metal screwdriver while the radio is live (RX mode) and very carefully touch pin 4 of the audio IC, do you hear anything?

These radios are pretty solid but they are old, it could really be just about any cap in the circuit or a bad connection on the CB/PA switch, and those relays have issues too.

If you were a local I would tell you to come on down, I love working on that chassis.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Issue resolved!!! Dirty VRs. Its funny how something so simple can be overlooked... I love this chassis as well. Sadly, a few tech around here will NOT work on them anymore.... "its too old and uneconomical to work on" they cry so its up to guys like us to keep them going.

Its funny, for a chassis that is nearing 35 years old they hold up better than anything built in the last 10 or 15 years.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Jim

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.