• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington help?

MC7

Mar 10, 2021
I've been hanging around here a long time but this is my first post. I recently acquired a president Washington PC-385AG MB8719. Radio works great for the most part but has a quirk. If I set the dead key any lower than 3watts, I get a flutter in the audio while talking. The meter reflects this as well. Stays up but the needle flutters. Someone used the rf gain pot to adjust rf power. They physically removed the VR6 pot from the board and wired it to the rf gain pot.

I have not been able to find the two original wires for the rf gain. I would like to put it back in place. I can tell someone has done a channel mod as well. The only thing I found cut in it, is JP34. I think this has something to do with the channel mod. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am by no means a radio tech. Great find on the President Washington. I am sure someone will offer to help. If I remember correctly I believe there should be a capacitor and transistor wired in line also for the RF gain mod. There are lots of mods of the board in the President Washington. Try searching the www.cbtricks.com site when you have time.

Last edited:
Thanks secret squirrel. UPDATE- the radio started cutting off completely. I could wiggle the fuse holder cap and it would flicker on and off. So there's some kinda problem going on there. I plugged in a12v cable and switched it to run off dc. All of the fluttering audio stopped! So now I just need to find my rf gain wires and what jp34 goes to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.