• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington (UPD 858) VR2 (RF Gain) has no effect during alignment.

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hi Everyone,
On the bench is a 2 button Washington with low receive. I did a recap and alignment and the receive is still low. During the alignment when setting the RF Gain Range (VR2) had no effect on the receive volume when turning it lock to lock. As an example for low receive, when I compare it to my own Washington (858) I get an S5 when talking to a local on LSB and on the on for repair I get an S2. Yes both are aligned with the same proceedure and equipment. S9 is set the same. It feels like an RF gain issue as the overall volume seems lower as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always!!!

Thanks for your reply 399!! I could have been clearer. The complaint was SSB low receive. During the alignment when injecting a signal (-110db) on 19 USB and adjusting VR2 it has no effect. When I have the radio hooked up to the antenna and listen to someone on LSB in the distance VR2 has no effect as well. I would have expected that the volume would at least go up or down some. On AM VR5 does effect the receive strength.

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.