• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pretty Cheap For A "NEW" Yeticom Optima MKII

Confused even more

Now, I am even more confused. I thought you could only order a "new" Optima from the Yeticom website. $375 shipped.

Now, I see 2 sellers on ebay with multiple units for sale. One seller is hawking the problem plagued MKII for $299.99 OBO, with $15 shipping.

The other seller is pandering the new and improved MKIII for $249.95 OBO, with FREE shipping.

I don't know if either sellers are official domestic resellers or not. The MKIII, selling for potentially less than $250 shipped, is intriguing. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering one from across the pond. Even more bizarre, it's cheaper than the buggy MKII.

Anyway, both sellers show a stock of 7+ units. There might be warranty issues involved... As the Yeticom website states that warranties only apply to units purchased from "Yeticom".

MKII:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190777030725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

MKIII:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251202479018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Can someone fix my links? Darned Tapatalk.

Beats me!

Buy at your own risk, especially the MKII with its known issues.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the Optima, which I did consider before purchasing the 8900, but I can say that I'm very pleased with the 8900. I've only had it for a few weeks, but so far there hasn't been anything that I don't like about it. It receives really well and I get a lot of good feedback on the sound quality. It takes a little bit to get used to the menu functions, but nothing too complicated.

Now, I am even more confused. I thought you could only order a "new" Optima from the Yeticom website. $375 shipped.

Now, I see 2 sellers on ebay with multiple units for sale. One seller is hawking the problem plagued MKII for $299.99 OBO, with $15 shipping.

The other seller is pandering the new and improved MKIII for $249.95 OBO, with FREE shipping.

I don't know if either sellers are official domestic resellers or not. The MKIII, selling for potentially less than $250 shipped, is intriguing. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering one from across the pond. Even more bizarre, it's cheaper than the buggy MKII.

Anyway, both sellers show a stock of 7+ units. There might be warranty issues involved... As the Yeticom website states that warranties only apply to units purchased from "Yeticom".

MKII:
Optima MK High Power 50 Watt Dual Band 10 12 Meter Mobile Amateur Radio "New" | eBay

MKIII:

Brand New Optima MK3 10 12 Meter Amateur Radio w Am FM LSB USB 50 Watts | eBay

Can someone fix my links? Darned Tapatalk.

Beats me!

Buy at your own risk, especially the MKII with its known issues.

i have been watching the mkIII seller on ebay, man $250 with free shipping seems like a heck of a deal for that radio! he still has like 7 left,, i might have to upgrade the mobile unit(980ssb) but dont know if i really need all that in the car.

Beware.

The ebay seller: "cbidealsales", that has the Optima MKIII's for $249, is shipping the units without warranty tamper seals.

His listing clearly states your warranty is void if seals are missing or tampered with.

This might affect a factory repair scenerio. The radio is also shipped with the jumper in the HAM band position. Even if it did have seals, you'd have to break them to freeband it anyways.

He's obviously receiving them from the factory in export mode. To avoid the MAN, he's likely removing the seals to add a jumper to comply with the law.

Just a friendly FYI.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Duster. That sure would be a deal breaker if you had to do the jumper deal and it has seals on it but I guess without the seals it wouldn't matter. Guess we will see where this goes.

Don't mean to copy posts but this is in a different topic.

After a few emails to Yeticom, it seems the manfacture of the Optima has decided to sell to a US supplier not through Yeticom. So the radios here are coming direct from the manfacture. I guess in the electronics world overseas they don't have copyright laws or patents. This company took the Optima design and upgrades and is selling them here. My concern will about warranty. Will them be able to fix them? Will they just give you another radio? Guess time will tell.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.