• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Primer on checking Cobra 29 for mods?

urbex

Feb 22, 2012
Is there any kind of "help the newbie" type guide on verifying that radios have NOT been modified?

I've picked up a pair of Cobra 29LTD Classics (one nightwatch, one non-NW) over the past few months (yes, I abandoned the idea of converting a 10m radio), with the intention of putting one in my 4x4 trail toy. The only times I use CB is either on a trail run, as between exhaust noise and tire noise, any kind of radio would be completely useless on the highway to me (even with several hundred watts going into my stereo speakers, I can still barely hear them on the drive to/from the trails...yes, my rig is LOUD :D)

That said, both of these radios came from long haul truckers, so I'm betting there's a good chance of them having some sort of mods that will be useless at best, but more likely annoying to the rest of my group. I don't have a need to go miles on these things, or whatever other gizmos the truckers use.

If I open up the radios, components cut out would be obvious of course, but replaced components may not be so obvious. Obviously not every possible thing that someone could have done could be noted, but is there some kind of "these are the most popular things typically done" kind of things out there that I could check for?

Just start running them. If they have been peaked and tuned that would be a good thing. If say an echo board was added there would be a control to turn it down, extra channels are fine and won't cause any problems, and if it has a noise toy just don't push the toy button and your fine. If your radio's work I'm not seeing a problem here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio