• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with ssb

Galaxy DX-959's come with 4 amp fuses however I have a 7 amp fuse in mine. Plus,DTB soldered a wire from where power comes in on the main pcb to the on/off switch. This and running a 4 gauge stranded wire from a battery power supply to a short fused Galaxy radio power wire to my radio all but stopped any flickering lights. Also,DTB adjusted the ALC to where it only does 12 watts on SSB. Before I had DTB tune and align it,I followed the Galaxy Tech's advice and adjusted the ALC to the 7:30 position. This alone can cause severe dimming and flickering on the 959's lights.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx959/graphics/om_dx959.pdf

Last edited:
Or your PS is going south
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx959/graphics/dx959_serv_manual.pdf

"Model
Frequency Range
Emission Modes
Frequency Control
Frequency Tolerance Frequency Stability
Operating Temperature Range Microphone
Input Voltage
Current Drain : Transmit (AM full mod.) Current Drain : Receiver (Squelched)
(Max. audio output)
Antenna Connector Dimensions Weight
1.1 TRANSMITTER
RF Power Output RF Transmit Modes Modulation
Spurious Emissions
Carrier Suppression
Audio Frequency Response Antenna Impedance
Output Indicators
1.2 RECEIVER
Sensitivity For 10dB S/N (AM) Sensitivity For 10dB S/N (SSB) IF Frequency
Image Rejection
Adjacent Channel Selectivity RF Gain Control
Automatic Gain Control (AGC) Figure Of Merit
Squelch
Noise Blanker
Audio Output Power
Audio Frequency Response Built-in Speaker
External Speaker (Not Supplied)
DX 959
26.965 - 27.405MHz.
AM/USB/LSB
Phase Lock Loop (PLL) synthesizer.
± 0.005 %.
± 0.001 %.
-30°C to +50°C.
Plug-in dynamic; with push-to-talk switch and coiled cord.
13.8V DC nominal ±15%.
<3.5A.
<0.5A.
<1.0A.
UHF, SO239.
2-3/8”(H) x 7-7/8”(W) x 9-1/4”(D).
5 lb.
AM:4WSSB:12W
AM/SSB
High and low level Class B, Amplitude Modulation : AM and SSB
-55 dB.
-55 dB.
300 to 2500 Hz
50 Ohms.
Meter shows relative RF output power, SWR and AM Modulation. Transmit LED glows red when transmitter is in operation."

Last edited:
All DX949/959's have meter light diming.The reason is the stock voltage regulator Q54 is too weak to supply the power the radio needs to function at peak.Subing a 2SB817 will stop diming and slightly increase performance.And use a power cord/plug of 12gauge wire with a 10 amp fuse.It can be bought from most CB retailers.

According to the Galaxy Tech,the MOSFET versions since 08' have the 2SB827 in them.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/27152-galaxy-dx959-users-review.html
My light don't flicker on AM and I don't think they do on SSB but it's in a legal state of tune by DTB.

DTB soldered an additional power wire from the point on the main pcb where the power comes in to the on/off switch plus I'm using a 4 gauge power wire(used what was lying around)definantly helps.

Last edited:
The AM regulator transistor TR54 (2SB827) has no bearing on the meter lights. The source voltage to the S-Meter lights come directly from the +13.8vdc power jack. However the dimmer control uses the +8.0vdc source from Q37 which might be why yours is dimming. Check the center lead of Q37 and if the voltage reads over 8.5vdc then replace D73 with a 7.2 volt zener for better stability if that dimming is really bothering you.

Ray from Galaxy ( GTRS ) posted that here on the Forum back in 2007, I sure miss him, he was a terrific asset to Galaxy.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/27152-galaxy-dx959-users-review.html

(I see you have already found the thread, but I posted a link here, The search feature is a very useful tool.)

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry it took so long to reply. I ended up throwing in a 4amp fuse I found laying around a few days later. Every since then it has not popped but is still dimming a bit. I think im going to try a 5, 6, and 7 amp fuse respectivly, and see what happens. I think that was the problem though. I just dont understand the dimming part. It never used to do that. Also I am thinkin of selling my imax 2000 because, back before, when I had my antron 99 hooked up, it seemed like I got out alot better, and better gain. I thin it was because the antron was 1/4 wave and the imax is 5/8 wave. Not too sure what the difference is but what are some good antennas out their that are 1/4 wave and good quality?

Thanks for the info fellaz.

An IMAX 2000 is hands down a better antenna then a 1/4 wave A99. Changing to an A99 from an IMAX would be a step backwards. Running a 5,6, or 7 amp fuse will not feed more voltage or current to your radio. You have some kind of a voltage drop going on with your power supply.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.