• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Problem" with Yaesu VX-2

hamradio7809

Aug 21, 2011
Hey guys, I recently bought a Yaesu VX-2 for use as a "mini scanner" to incorporate into my everyday use.

I have a problem that I was wondering if any one could assist me in solving.

The radio works well when listening to frequencies such as weather, local radio(AM-FM), and others. They come in quite clear and the speaker when on max is louder than I expected.

When I get to my local police and fire dept (frequencies 470-~485) the reception drops down considerably with alot of static(changed settings through menu"RF SQL") and I am lucky to pick up anything. WHEN something is picked up, the volume drops down considerably and I need to hold the radio to my ear to hear yet the volume knob is turn as high as it could go.... Thinking that the stock antenna might be the problem I switched to my Yaesu FT-60 stock antenna figuring that it works just fine on the FT-60 and picks up all of my listening needs. Still nothing... Does not pick up and when does VERY low.

After getting a little frustrated I bought a Diamond SRHF10 thinking that although they are dual band antennas they are also listed with "receiving only" specs. I got the SRFH10 today, hooked it up and again same results as with both rubber ducks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could to do improve receive capabilities and increase speaker volume when on those selected frequencies.

Thank you, Chris

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.