• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antenna advise

Let the ends of each leg drop down a bit or put it up as an inverted V.

Dipoles are quite forgiving and you can bend the legs in all kinds of directions as long as you don't make the bends more than 90 degrees.

The SD 27 hot rod referred to is aluminum. Not sure it should be bent. I don't have two good places to attach the ends of a wire dipole.

If someone made a good antenna less than 12' tall and 5' wide, they could get rich selling them to people that don't have much room.

I was asking about how about tacking one up on the eve of the house. I don't know of that can be done performance wise. Here's a pic of what I am trying to describe. Maybe the others can help you as to where to mount a dipole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 28
Just can't seem to get excited about a wire dipole. Not sure how well it would work up against my eave with my neighbor's house 10' away (zero lot line).

I could string one across my patio columns pretty easily. It would only be 6-7 feet high with my house completely blocking the back side of it. Whatta you think?

Can't understand why you can't get/use an 18 ft tall Antron/A99. So what if it is just 6 ft taller than the Patriot? Why is an extra 6 ft taller that a big of a deal? Not fond of the A99 myself; but if that is the best you can do, then that is still the best choice. At least it tunes well and works OK. They are cheap and plentiful, can be found used sometimes for 1/2 price, and it will end your antenna dilemma. Get you on the air and start talking.

Last edited:
Can't understand why you can't get/use an 18 ft tall Antron/A99. So what if it is just 6 ft taller than the Patriot? Why is an extra 6 ft taller that a big of a deal? Not fond of the A99 myself; but if that is the best you can do, then that is still the best choice. At least it tunes well and works OK. They are cheap and plentiful, can be found used sometimes for 1/2 price, and it will end your antenna dilemma. Get you on the air and start talking.

Don't want a tall antenna visible from the street. The PAT-12 was actually taller than I desired (until I hacksawed it!).

Here's what I finally settled on:

Homemade Firestik Dipole

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4006-firestik-dipole-1.jpg

Simple to make. Just one piece of angle iron and two 4' Firestiks with stud mounts and a 90 degree adapter.

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4008-firestik-dipole-3.jpg

Though it's not clear in the photo, the antenna connected to the coax is isolated from the bracket by a nylon washer while the other antenna connects directly to it as illustrated in this article:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/cbstrongtie.html

Tuning it with the Firestik tunable tips was a snap. First SWR readings:
CH 1 - 2.0
CH 20 - 1.8
CH 40- 2.2

Final readings with each tip extended 1/2":
CH 1 - 1.3
CH 20 - 1.1
CH 40 - 1.2

Didn't hear any locals but LOTS of skip. Chatted with some guy in Philidelphia with my measly 3 watts.

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4007-firestik-dipole-2.jpg

I am done experimenting until I move somewhere where I can put up my Moonraker on a tower.

Riverman, standing by.

Last edited:
Here's what I finally settled on:

Homemade Firestik Dipole

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4006-firestik-dipole-1.jpg

Simple to make. Just one piece of angle iron and two 4' Firestiks with stud mounts and a 90 degree adapter.

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4008-firestik-dipole-3.jpg

Though it's not clear in the photo, the antenna connected to the coax is isolated from the bracket by a nylon washer while the other antenna connects directly to it as illustrated in this article:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/cbstrongtie.html

Tuning it with the Firestik tunable tips was a snap. First SWR readings:
CH 1 - 2.0
CH 20 - 1.8
CH 40- 2.2

Final readings with each tip extended 1/2":
CH 1 - 1.3
CH 20 - 1.1
CH 40 - 1.2

Didn't hear any locals but LOTS of skip. Chatted with some guy in Philidelphia with my measly 3 watts.

riverman71-albums-homemade-antenna-2-picture4007-firestik-dipole-2.jpg

I am done experimenting until I move somewhere where I can put up my Moonraker on a tower.

Riverman, standing by.

Why is it me,that always end up with a bad deal ?

I got today a Patriot and I was told it is a piece of cake to tune it.
Well I put it together and started with like 3 : 1 swr. on channel 40.
I started working with the rings and nothing,all it does is raise it higher.
After like the 50th trip between radio and antenna,I gave up.
It shows 2 : 1 on channel 1 Like 3 : 1 on 40.

Why is it me,that always end up with a bad deal ?

I got today a Patriot and I was told it is a piece of cake to tune it.
Well I put it together and started with like 3 : 1 swr. on channel 40.
I started working with the rings and nothing,all it does is raise it higher.
After like the 50th trip between radio and antenna,I gave up.
It shows 2 : 1 on channel 1 Like 3 : 1 on 40.

They should include a hacksaw in the box with the antenna.Then once an individual is finished trying to get an acceptable SWR, he can begin sawing it into pieces without having to make a trip to his workshop or local hardware store.

The SD 27 hot rod referred to is aluminum. Not sure it should be bent. I don't have two good places to attach the ends of a wire dipole.

If someone made a good antenna less than 12' tall and 5' wide, they could get rich selling them to people that don't have much room.
NO ! they dont bend. but ya can mount it verticle or horizonally

I'm quite sure this thread is dead, but I'd like to add my two cents. I ordered the PAT 12 for one reason. Limited space and proclaimed easy tuning. They got one right on the brochure. Well actually two, but you have to understand how a no ground plane antenna works. As mentioned by another member. They do use the coax as part of this system. I worked for days on tuning this model to the point of almost giving up, but I had forgotten one thing. My how any antenna systems work information.

Back to the aforementioned GP high SWR issues. Your using the coax as part of this system. Please keep in mind that mismatched lengths may have an effect on SWR. My system is 54 feet of double shielded RGX8 ( back in phase at 54 feet or three lengths of 18.) and the PAT 12 on a 18 ft pole mounted on top of the 2 ft chimney chute on top of my house for a total height of 32 ft above my roof line. I do have two trees still in leaf, but are well out of the 12-25 ft radius Procomm mentions. I too had High SWR. Starting in the 2.5:1 area on the ends of the 11 meter band. These antennas are cut long from the factory. They will require a trim to even the SWR on 1 and 40. and then you can use the rings. Said Procomm. I still was unalble to get the desired SWR. Then I thought back since they do use the coax. I installed a Common Mode Choke (Balun) just below the connector. Two wraps brought the SWR down below 2.0:1 and I still have about three threads I can move up the rings before top out. The high end of the band is still a bit "long" as 40 is higher, but now sits at 1.8-1.9:1 and Ch 1 at 1.7:1 with the mid band (Ch 20) being just below Ch 1 at 1.6:1. Barefooted 4 watts I wouldn't worry, but running any high output radio would make me step back a bit as I'd rather see 1.5:1 or lower for rigs like that to save the equipment life. Be it that we don't live in a perfect world and If anyone has one with the same problems. Make a common mode choke based off the length of your system you can connect right to the bottom of the antenna (The closer to the connector the better.). Or just use the Coax and wrap around a short piece of PVC it like I did and experiment with how many wraps you need. This may not solve the issue as there may be many factors with different systems, but it brought mine down enough I'm using it. I did however order the factory ground plane kit (Procomm says adds 30% to the performance. Hopefully in the way of below 1.5:1) and it's on it's way. So if this post spurs more converse on the subject. I will definitely post my findings after I put the GPK on the antenna. Which will hopefully be before winter if things go right.

The only draw back I see so far to this model is that with the current SWR settings. Local is short range and skip is heard, but you can't get there from here if you know what I mean. However. I won't count it out until the GPK is installed and the readings and test results are in.

On the Side.........

Last edited:
I'm quite sure this thread is dead, but I'd like to add my two cents. I ordered the PAT 12 for one reason. Limited space and proclaimed easy tuning. They got one right on the brochure. Well actually two, but you have to understand how a no ground plane antenna works. As mentioned by another member. They do use the coax as part of this system. I worked for days on tuning this model to the point of almost giving up, but I had forgotten one thing. My how any antenna systems work information.

Back to the aforementioned GP high SWR issues. Your using the coax as part of this system. Please keep in mind that mismatched lengths may have an effect on SWR. My system is 54 feet of double shielded RGX8 ( back in phase at 54 feet or three lengths of 18.) and the PAT 12 on a 18 ft pole mounted on top of the 2 ft chimney chute on top of my house for a total height of 32 ft above my roof line. I do have two trees still in leaf, but are well out of the 12-25 ft radius Procomm mentions. I too had High SWR. Starting in the 2.5:1 area on the ends of the 11 meter band. These antennas are cut long from the factory. They will require a trim to even the SWR on 1 and 40. and then you can use the rings. Said Procomm. I still was unalble to get the desired SWR. Then I thought back since they do use the coax. I installed a Common Mode Choke (Balun) just below the connector. Two wraps brought the SWR down below 2.0:1 and I still have about three threads I can move up the rings before top out. The high end of the band is still a bit "long" as 40 is higher, but now sits at 1.8-1.9:1 and Ch 1 at 1.7:1 with the mid band (Ch 20) being just below Ch 1 at 1.6:1. Barefooted 4 watts I wouldn't worry, but running any high output radio would make me step back a bit as I'd rather see 1.5:1 or lower for rigs like that to save the equipment life. Be it that we don't live in a perfect world and If anyone has one with the same problems. Make a common mode choke based off the length of your system you can connect right to the bottom of the antenna (The closer to the connector the better.). Or just use the Coax and wrap around a short piece of PVC it like I did and experiment with how many wraps you need. This may not solve the issue as there may be many factors with different systems, but it brought mine down enough I'm using it. I did however order the factory ground plane kit (Procomm says adds 30% to the performance. Hopefully in the way of below 1.5:1) and it's on it's way. So if this post spurs more converse on the subject. I will definitely post my findings after I put the GPK on the antenna. Which will hopefully be before winter if things go right.

The only draw back I see so far to this model is that with the current SWR settings. Local is short range and skip is heard, but you can't get there from here if you know what I mean. However. I won't count it out until the GPK is installed and the readings and test results are in.

On the Side.........

i have one i bought years ago. i was never to get the swr down past 3.1 i tried everything. so it sits in the closet in the original box.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.