• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antenna advise

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everybody.

'Doc, that was my thinking--That its performance should lie somewhere between a 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave. Twelve feet is as high as I want to go above my mast so this one fits the bill. Lots of negative reviews but a few good ones so thought I'd take a chance. Once I get it up and test it will report back---good or bad. Weather's still cold here and I am coming down with a cold so might be a few days (dang it).

I will say this. Whereas antennas like the A99 and IMAX get progressively stiffer from top to bottom (with three or more sections), this one doesn't. The top half is 3/8" dia. and very flimsy while the bottom half is 1" dia. and very, stiff (no bend). Am afraid the top portion will snap in one of our Texas thunderstorms. Hope not.

Think you should expect not much gain on the antenna output. That is why it is important to have a decent antenna that has real positive db gain. The best you can hope for is a low angle of radiation, but I doubt very much that your antenna choice will even have that. Haven't seen any spec sheets on that one yet, so that is a fair guess. You will find out.

OK, here we go.
SPECS:

Threaded tuning
Can be cut to work for 10-12 meter
Rugged fiberglass construction with Chrome Plated ferrules
Single coil circuit for best tuning and reliability
Included mounting hardware
EASY to install and operate
2000 Watts maximum power PEP
7.5 dBi Gain (doubt that VERY much; be lucky if it had 2db/gain)
1.5"1 SWR
26-30 frequency range
12'
Weight 3.5 pounds

No mention of the angle of radiation - small wonder there . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everybody.

'Doc, that was my thinking--That its performance should lie somewhere between a 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave. Twelve feet is as high as I want to go above my mast so this one fits the bill. Lots of negative reviews

hmm might be better off with a sirio m-400 starduster

I bought the PAT-12 because I wanted a shorter antenna than the A99.

Can't do the Starduster because my mast is only 15' and my eave is 10'. No room for the radials.

Can't do the Sirio Top One (Astro Plane) for the same reason.

This was the only thing I could find and it's too late to change now (it's in my garage).

Well said, 13!

A 2' Wilson Little Wil hangin' from the clothes line in the back yard is better than no antenna at all (if it don't burn out your finals).

Have a nice day!

Jim

Last edited:
Well, dadgumit. Shoulda listened to the marjority of the reviews.

Put my PAT-12 up today. Could not get the SWR below 2.2 on any channel.

40' in the air it would probably be okay. 15' and not clearing the roof line, not so okay.

Back to the drawing board.

thats not good. if ya could even just get it another 5-10 feet it my help.shooldnt '
mount any antenna less than 18 feet above ground. what i was alwayd told

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.