• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Programing software choices

Reach Out

KJ4RWH
Nov 22, 2010
Central Virginia
qsl.net
My nephew just got his Technician's ticket and a Baufeng 5R. We used Chirp to set it up initially but the software seemed limited. Is there anything out that controls more of the options and variables on this HT?

The original Baofeng software was buggy, and this is why Chirp was recommended in its place. But the latest version of the Baofeng software works just fine. If you are using Windows 7; then use the Vista Prolific driver as it has no problems and will work just fine - just my experience . . .

Reactions: 1 person
I found Chirp to be very easy to use, and had all the features I needed. It even enabled frequency expansion over the stock configuration, if you wanted. What is missing that you feel is an issue?

Brett

My nephew just got his Technician's ticket and a Baufeng 5R. We used Chirp to set it up initially but the software seemed limited. Is there anything out that controls more of the options and variables on this HT?

This is the second of three videos this guy did on programming the Baofengs with Chirp. The others are good too, but this one hits the options you are looking for:

<center>Baofeng UV-5R Programming With a Computer, Part 2: CHIRP Basics - YouTube</center>

73's,
Bob

The Baofeng is a cheap priced most basic HT. How much do you expect to do with it? Any software that you do get offers pretty much the same functions for that radio. I use Chirp for my UV-5r and UV-82. And both work very well. I would not spend more on the software than the radio. And end up with the same thing. If you really want a radio to have all of the bells and whistles you are going to pay 5 times the Baofeng price or more for your HT. Remember this sometimes we get what we pay for. Little money you get little features.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated