• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Project 2000

Wrench

Oct 22, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I finally got this 2000 GTL in specs, and working. But, the finals don't last long. It seems like a powerhouse, then after a few days, it degrades to almost no output. When I change the finals, it wakes up.
I have been using a Dosy TFC-3001 meter. Yes, I know some of you don't like a Dosy, but it is brand new, got it at a great discount from a shop going out of business, still in the original, unopened box.
Anyway, what could cause this? I'm stuck not being able to use a good antenna, (Temporary apartment dweller.)
I am using a Magnetic mount firestick, and SWRs are almost flat at 1:2-1 until I key up. Modulation is strong, power is 2 watts keyed swinging to 12 on AM, SSB swings to almost 20.

Edit: I meant the SWRs are almost flat, until I use the radio a few days.

Last edited:

I finally got this 2000 GTl in specs, and working. But, the finals don't last long. It seems like a powerhouse, then after a few days, it degrades to almost no output. When I change the finals, it wakes up.
I have been using a Dosy TFC-3001 meter. Yes, I know some of you don't like a Dosy, but it is brand new, got it at a great discount from a shop going out of business, still in the original, unopened box.
Antway, what could cause this? I'm stuck not being able to use a good antenna, (Temporary apartment dweller.)
I am using a Magnetic mount firestick, and SWRs are almost flat at 1:2-1 until I key up. Modulation is strong, power is 2 watts keted swinging to 12 on AM, SSB swings to almost 20.

If you have SWRs before you key up then you have a big problem

If you have SWRs before you key up then you have a big problem

I had good SWR's when the radio was working. When the power went down, I couldn't even set the SWRs. If I put new finals in, it all comes back to spec. I need to find the reason they go out. I'm thinking maybe the regular to the finals, but am not sure.Or, the antenna, which could have a bad ground.
There are no SWRs before keying up.

So what if the plastic busing with a screw were to not be centered, and the ridge worn? That causes the plate of the driver, which is the collector, to short out. The driver would immediately short. But it doesn't on mine, it degrades, so I think the worn bushing is off center enough to allow it to work, until the radio becomes warmer. Then things degrade. I am putting a new driver in tomorrow, a 2166, to go along with the 1969, which tests OK.
This time, I will be using plastic screws, so the collector can not short. This is the one that had a bad solder joint.Not sure if that did much, but I think the finals both should use the plastic screws anyway. We will see!
Does anyone think the 2166 and 1969 is a good match?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.