• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PS-52KX breaker popping

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
I have a PS-52KX power supply from Pyramid. I have it less than a year and was running an amp with it. Today it started popping the breaker on the back. I unhooked all devices from the power supply made sure it was turned off and had no shorts anywhere. I pushed the reset button on the back to reset the breaker, turned it on and it hums load and within 2 seconds pops off again.

What should I look for that can be causing this problem?

I did not check the fuse inside yet. the manual says there is a 10 amp fuse inside but if it were bad I would think the power supply would not turn on at all.

Please help, it was expensive and I cant aford another at this time.

AP

Had a friend's Pyramid do the same thing a few months ago. Turned out to be one of the pass transisor/regulator was gone. He had ran his on the floor and it picked up a lot of dust and clogged the fans inside, heated it up too much. Ended up replacing the bridge rectifiers as well as some of the pass transistors.

Def look into the rectifiers and when you order replacements. Get some higher amperage units. I also upgraded my pass transistors and most of the wiring.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.