• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PVC Mast?

stingray

Dec 12, 2008
can PVC be used for a base antenna mast? i know if you went real long that would not be good. how about only like a 5 foot piece?

It depends on how big the antenna is. A 5 foot piece of PVC at least 2 inches in diamater would be fine for a VHF/UHF antenna. Not so sure I would want to use one without guys for a CB antenna however because of the leverage presented by the long length. You could insert a piece of wood or a sleeve of another smaller piece of PVC to increase the wall thickness. Best bet is aluminum or steel for a 5 foot length.

i used 4" sch 40 PVC for my mast

DSC01096.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Can't see it very well in the pics, but this two and a half inch PVC mast is 10' tall, with a 16' tall conduit dipole and survived the New England winter, often coated with ice and snow in high winds.(y)

Dipole-1.jpg

Dipole-2.jpg

PVC isn't exactly the best type of antenna support if it's left in the sun a lot, and it depends on how much sun it 'gets'. It is very susceptible to heat and ultraviolet. There are other materials that are not as susceptible and would make for better supports, etc, if you happen to have or have access to them. If you don't, then use what'cha got.
Is there a time frame for PVC 'rotting'? Probably, but I don't have any firm idea of what it is. You can change that time frame by 'shielding' PVC, as in paint it.
It's about like 'thhn' wire, the kind that has a colored layer of insulation and then a clear layer. Hang it in the sun for a while and it starts looking like a snake shedding it's skin. That takes about a year give or take a few months, sort of.
You'll know when it's time, you just have to wait and see.
- 'Doc

........in materials such as PVC. the lossy crap they use for filler in this stuff will dissipate almost 20% of applied power at middle-upper hf frequencies. i mentioned this somewhere else but allow me to expound. trace copper elements, carbon black and other filler materials virtually destroy the dielectric properties of PVC and is IMHO not suitable for proper and effective ANTENNA OR balun construction. this dissipation loss increases at vhf/uhf.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/21730-end-fed-verticals-ground-planes-3.html#post45997

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.