• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pyramid 12 amp power supply

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
My local radio shack is going out of business, so I bought two 102" whips for $15 each. The also had a pyramid 12 amp power supply for $49.45. Is that power supply worth the money, or can I do better. I'm searching for answers, but don't have a lot of time. Thanks

heck look at the side ad's right here. you can get a 30 amp for $50.00 fr0m Mega-Watt.
Ok, I just left anyways. I have never had a base before, so I haven't done much research on power supplies. I do remember reading that a lot of less expensive power supplies are of questionable quality. I'm sure I can get a 100 amp unit for $10, but I doubt I would want it.

Look to the right of your screen. They are one of this sites advertisers, they are very good Power Supply. A bunch of us have them. I use the 50 amp one. Do a search on them. Well some one else please claim in here.

Nothing wrong with the Pyramid power supplies but while that's a good price it really isn't anything special, you don't have to worry about missing a once in a lifetime deal if you don't get it.

Never used a Megawatt myself but they seem to get good reviews. Also that extra 18 amps will do a lot to keep your options open if you decide to upgrade to a bigger radio down the road, when buying a power supply it's always a good idea to go a little bigger than you need.

Check this link for a little info: http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/megawatt-vs-chinese-imitation-30-amp-switching-power-supply-comparison.182976/

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I was just excited to buy whips for $15 dollars, and deoxit for $3. I almost bought a bunch of other stuff, but I decided to walk away. I might go back tomorrow and get an 8 pin mic connectors to wire a mic for the optima.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.